Wound Not Healing After Breast Reduction? (photo)

I am 4 weeks out on having a breast reduction. I have one breast that is healing perfectly and one that has a dime sized opening in the "T" spot. My doctor has me doing the wet to dry dressings. Nothing seems to be changing. What else can I try...I don't want a huge scar!

Wound along the incision after breast reduction may take weeks to heal.

+1

I think with proper one care this will and should heal well. It may take several more weeks but a secondary operation will not be necessary.

Open wound post reduction

+1

This will not be a problem.One can clean it up and then do a simple excision as an outpatient under local.You should do fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wound healing problem at the base of the inverted T

+1

There is really not much you can do at this point.  This will eventually fill in and heal.  Your plastic surgeon seems to be treating it appropriately.  Once you are healed then you can consider a scar revision.  

Wound Not Healing After Breast Reduction?

+1

Sounds like your surgeon is treating you correctly. I also use red light IPL and PRP dressings..////

T intersection

+1

This is called the T intersection and is the area most susceptible to delayed healing. After a period of wet dressings, switching to a hydrogel or ointment dressing may help. Although scar revision may be necessary, the scar rarely is noticeable and does not usually " require" revision.

Glenn Lyle, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Healing after breast reduction

+1

The skin breakdown you have is not uncommon especially with the anchor scar breast lift technique.  These types of wounds seem to linger, but once they start to close, they close very quickly and usually much better than you might think.  You may not need a scar revision!  Hang in there, it seems like you are doing a very nice job taking care of things.

Angela Keen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction with delayed healing

+1

Delayed healing especially at the "T" junction for breast reductions can occur and can take several weeks or longer to heal. Sometimes they require scar revision but at a much later date.

+1
I'm sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. You should be aware however that wound healing problems can occur after breast reduction surgery;  with local wound care,  these wounds generally go on to heal over the course of a few weeks.  It is possible the scar revision surgery may be necessary in the future.
Although tempting, best to avoid following recommendations made by online consultants; continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon and follow his instructions. After all, he knows exactly what is occurring and is ultimately responsible for your care.

Wound problems 4 weeks after breast reduction

+1

It will take time and patience for your wounds to heal. The spot will develop into a wide scar, but a scar revision can be performed down the road. Continue the wound care as directed by your surgeon. Thank you for sharing your photo and concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD