Is It Necessary to Use Wound Care Products on my Tummy Tuck Incision?

I had a full tummy tuck three weeks ago, and I have read several comments/articles about using wound care products for scar improvement. However, I personally believe is best to leave a wound heal on its own but that does not mean I am right. What is your advise on this? Thank you.

Is It Necessary to Use Wound Care Products

+3

The overwhelming percentage of scars heal uneventfully without intervention. Relatively few surgeons, with the exception of plastic surgeons, bother with any of these products, and their patients do well. 

It is clear that when patients show signs of abnormal healing that various products can be of benefit, but no products have been shown to have significant benefit when used on large numbers of normal healers.

Thanks and best wishes.

Scar products not necessary after tummy tuck

+2

Most will heal quite well without the assistance of and scar products after tummy tuck. Some individuals however will benefit from silicone sheeting or liquid such as scarguard, and some will use Mederma. We also find massage with common skin lotions helpful to make the tissue soften. We suggest you wait another month before starting.

How to get good tummy tuck scars

+2

Most scars improve over time so it is very difficult to prove that any of the commonly used treatments do much good. I typiccally keep tummy tuck scars taped for 4-6 weeks and that seems to work very well. A product called scar guard from SkinMedica actually has good scientific testing so that would be my recommendation if you want to do something. (Good testing means that it is compared to an untreated half of the same scar, and compared to other treatments on half of the same scar; before and after pictures mean nothing unless you know how the scar would have changed anyway.)

Richard Baxter, MD

Scar products after tummy tuck

+2

It is too early to use any products on your scar.  Most scars improve on their own at this time.  Scar guard, Mederma etc may be indicated later, but you would be wasting your money at this early time.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Kahului Plastic Surgeon

Is It Necessary to Use Wound Care Products on my Tummy Tuck Incision

+2

After the steristrips are removed postoperatively the only substance I would add is Scar Guard which is a liquid silicone that is painted on the wounds after they are exposed to air.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD