Worth It or Not? Lost Over 150 Pounds and Now Have These Arms? (photo)

Please tell me if it is worth having the arm lift,I am 29.... thank you

Is it worth it

+3

Hi Nihara. Only you can tell if it is worth it. Your excess skin is moderate to bad and your skin tone looks fairly good. I think you would look considerably better, understanding the potential complications, the major one being a poor scar. There are essentially 2 incisions that can be made. One at the bottom of the arm ( I prefer that ) and one in the front ( bicipittal groove ), which I don't like . Consult with board certfied ps who do these procedures routinely.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lifting Surgery Worth It?

+2

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Whether or not you should undergo the arm lifting procedure will ultimately be a very personal decision that should be made after careful consideration of the pros/cons associated with the operation.

Generally speaking, arm lifting surgery can be an excellent operation for the right patient. Understandably, one of the main concerns/downsides of the arm lift surgery is a resulting scar. Careful planning of the operation is critical in executing the operation and determining the final position of the resulting scar. In my opinion, a scar that ends up along the very lower border of the upper arm is the best tolerated scar, since it is hard to see from the front or back when a patient's arms are by his/her side.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Arm Lift after Major Weight Loss Beneficial

+2

-Congratulations on losing so much weight!

-It is common to be left with an abundance of excess skin of the upper arms after losing so much weight.   A brachioplasty (arm lift) would help rid you of this excess skin and give you a nice contour to your arms. 

-You have to be willing to accept a long scar that may widen some over time.  I have found that my patients, who have lost a lot of weight, are pleased with their improved arm contour and find the benefits of fitting into clothes more comfortably and looking better in short sleeve shirts to far outweigh the scar.

-Definitely meet with a board certified plastic surgeon and look at some before and after photos so you will understand what you might expect from this procedure.

-Thanks for sharing your photo!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Only Patient Can Decide If Aesthetic Surgery Is Worthwhile

+2

Only you can decide if any procedure is appropriate for you.  The benefits/risks must be weighed as well as the costs.  It appears that you are a good candidate for a brachioplasty, but you must be willing to accept the resultant scar which can be a problem.

John Whitt, MD

Armlift, Brachioplasty , Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

+1

Hello;

Congratulations on your significant weight loss!

I think you would have good results with a long scar Armlift but of course you would have to accept a long scar on the inside of your upper arm which may be noticeable when lifting your arms. The ultimate decision should be yours once you review all of the benefits , risks and alternatives with your surgeon.

Incidently , the width of the scar can be minimized to a fine line if done properly with adequate number of deep fascial sutures that would relieve the tension on the skin during the initial healing period.

Thank you and best of luck.

Ali Adibfar, MD, DDS

Brachoplasty Surgery - Worth it or Not

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. The question you ask is a very personal one. One might ask that same question for any cosmetic procedure available. Whether or not you would have a significant improvement with the surgery, yes, you certainly would. However, the only draw back with this particular procedure is the visible scar. Once you have an assessment with a board certified plastic surgeon and he confirms you are a good candidate for the surgery, then it is up to you to decide if this procedure is worth it. Good luck to you.

All the best.

Alexander Golger, MD

Worth It or Not? Lost Over 150 Pounds and Now Have These Arms?

+1

An extended arm lift will address the loose skin and will result in a much nicer arm contour.  You will have to decide if the surgery is worth it to you.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Arm Lift

+1

Yes, first of all congrats on the weight loss and yes the only way to get rid of that skin is an arm lift. Big scars but BIG RESULTS

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

That depends...

+1

It's great that you were able to lose that much weight.  However, the downside for massive weight loss patients is all the excess, drooping skin that remains.  It depends on what your goal is.  If you want an improvement, then liposuction would remove much of the remaining fat in your upper arm and hopefully the skin would shrink somewhat, but there are no guarantees how you will heal.  The upside of liposuction is quicker recovery and very small scars.  The downside is that you may wish you had had excess skin removed.  You could always try liposuction only and then have any excess skin removed later.  A brachioplasty is a procedure that surgically removes excess skin from the upper arm.  I many times will perform liposuction of the arm to debulk and then remove the redundant skin.  This procedure usually gives a great result and does not require a second procedure.  The downside is a longer recovery and a long, visible scar on the inside of the upper arm.  That is usually the trade-off when you want to remove excess skin, you're trading the flap of skin for a permanent scar.

Good luck!

David W. Allison, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon