Worth It to Get Veneers on my Beautiful Teeth? (photo)

I have a beautiful smile. It's the feature I get the most compliments on--it's really quite striking. However, (due to stupidly getting a tongue ring when I was younger), I have two small chips in my two front teeth. I've had them filled, but even though I go to a top dentist, they still "re-chip" about twice a year. (See the latest chip in the picture.) I've thought about veneers, but Im afraid I won't like them as much as I like my natural smile! Please advise me on my best course of action.

Worth Getting Veneers?

+2

If your direct bonding is coming off twice a year, and has been for some time, i think it best to figure out why? Bonding technique may not be the underlying reason you keep losing these fillings. Other factors have to be taken into account, including your bite, habits, position of lower teeth, etc. 

Keep in mind that if there is an issue with your bite and it is causing the failure of these fillings it could also affect any Veneer work. 

Veneers are a personal choice. They can change some peoples lives, make a wonderful smile fuller, brighter, more balanced etc. but they don't solve all issues in the mouth.

There are also some amazing direct filling materials available today that are getting very close to Porcelain like aesthetics. These may also be an option for you if you get the problem of knocking them off solved. 

Let us know how it all goes and your decisions.

Vancouver Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers on beautiful teeth

+1

If this were my own mouth I would try bonding it again. The chips are very small. The better question is why does the bonding keep on chipping? Do you have grinding habit? Is the bonding coming off because you are biting into something hard? I would only consider veneers if the bonding continues to fail. 

Sylvan Fain, DDS
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding Vs. Veneers

+1

As long as you do not have any parafunctional issues, cosmetic bonding done in a proper way should last you quite a long time and not chip so frequently. I would find a dentist that is more experienced in cosmetic bonding and get another consultation. Veneers are great for changing the shape, color and overall look of your smile but in my opinion if you are happy with your teeth and just have a few chips, bonding is the best and most conservative way to solve this problem.

Lilya Horowitz, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Venners as an aesthetic option

+1

I would do a couple of veneers, because veneers are certainly not "the last option" for your case, in fact veneers are a great option for aesthetic reasons and one of them is, precisely, enhance your smile. The way your smile looks is very important for you, and yes, you can improve the way your smile looks with porcelain veneers.

German Arzate, DDS, MS
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer

+1

you can always do veneers In my own mouth would continue with fillings or bonding until I no other choice good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers on My Beautiful Teeth?

+1

You do have beautiful teeth! Even though you go to a "top dentist", some truly "cosmetic dentists" are better than others in direct bonding. I would try to seek out another TOP COSMETIC DENTIST and see if he has any better luck with the bonding.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Chip in front tooth.

+1

If you love your smile and your teeth, there is no reason to veneer just for strength.  Your doctor needs to find out why the bonding is chipping.  This may be a bite issue or a functional issue.  Sometimes the bonding technique does not allow for optimal adhesion of the material.

Aesthetic dental bonding is your most conservative and natural approach.  The veneer is "bonded" with the same chemicals as the bonding is... therefore if its a bonding issue or your bite, you may experince similar problems with your veneer.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Worth it To Get Veneers

+1

You do have very beautiful teeth with the exception of the chipping.  The problem with cosmetic bondings is that they stain, chip, and have to be done so often it's sometimes isn't worth it.  Your best bet would be to have the front 2 teeth done with veneers but make sure you are seeing a top cosmetic dentist with a top lab.  They can very easily make your teeth look just like your current teeth, but with a more permanent fix to the chipping.  Don't do just the one front tooth, because it will be much more difficult to get a match on the shade.  Also, make sure the dentist and the lab have some sort of warranty on their porcelain work, and ask to see lots of examples of before-and-afters on similar cases by the dentist.  Good luck!

Charles Nottingham, DDS, FAGD
Fort Lauderdale Cosmetic Dentist