Is it worth salvaging an infected chin implant at 8 weeks or just have it removed asap to prevent problems in the future?

pimple like area that drained tiny bit of diluted yellowish white drainage;no fever;no pain;no more swelling.. BE 1) possibly be salvaged by oral antibiotics like cipro 500mgs q 12 hrs for 14 days as prescribed or will need stronger or combination or IV antibiotics or just have it removed asap? 2) wound care, is clean okay or need to be sterile? 3) antibiotic ointment help the wound? 4) dressing or no dressing? 4) Can it cause infection to other parts of the body like the brain or cause sepsis

Infected chin implant treatment

+1
First of all, put on a clean dressing and call your surgeon.

It is possible you have an infected suture - not an infected implant.

If you have an infected implant, treatment depends on the kind of implant. Porous ones must be removed - infection spread through the implant.

If you have a silicone implant and an open wound - the implant will almost certainly need to be removed.

Yes, untreated infections can spread to other parts of the body. So please contact your surgeon for further instructions. Best wishes.

Management of Chin Implant Infection

+1
Dear Mslux, I suggest that you see your surgeon immediately as he/she will know the most about your case and how they would like to proceed with your treatment. Your surgeon will probably take a  culture and sensitivity identifying the infection and what type of antibiotic treatment should be prescribed. In most of these instances the implant is removed, a course of antibiotics is used for treatment of the infection and at a later date the implant may be replaced. I personally do not use the intra-oral incision due to the higher incidents of infection. Early in my career I did perform many intra oral augmentations and I had a few infections with this procedure. I perform a lot of chin augmentations and since switching to a sub-mental approach with a minimal incision I have not had any infections in over twenty years. Best of luck to you and see your surgeon for  proper care. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Management of Chin Implant Infection

+1
The ability to salvage an infected chin implant depends on what material it is composed of and how it is managed. If it is of a porous material (Medpor),you will not be able to salvage it by antibiotics alone and it will need to be removed. If it is a silicone material, you can try antibiotics for awhile but the best strategy is to remove the implant, clean and wash out the pocket, and either replace with a new implant or leave it put for awhile before replacing. The point being, antibiotics alone has a poor track record of solving implant-related infections due to the exotoxin bacteria layer that develops on them in the face of infection.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Infection

+1
Thank you for your question and since you are under a surgeon's care I would follow his advice.  That said in this situation it may be easiest to remove the implant and after a course of antibiotics and tincture of time place it back

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Possible infected chin implant 8 weeks after surgery

+1
The questions you ask about the care of your chin after placement of an implant should be directed to your surgeon.  He or she will have the most information about you and your procedure and will be able to give you the best advice.  In general, I would say that it is probably worth trying a course of oral antibiotics first to try and clear up any possible infection.  If there is an infection and it is controlled, there should not be any spread to other parts of the body or brain.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon