Worth It to Get a Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I have a big face and a long, narrow nose with a tip that is slightly too wide for the bridge. I want my nose to be shorter and the bridge less narrow. I consulted a PS and he suggested spreader grafts and columellar strut. My only concern is that I have a wide face and in the computer images my shorter nose sort of drew attention to that and made me look piggy. I'm concerned that changing my nose could end up just drawing more attention to other parts of my face that are unattractive.

Long Nose

+2

While your tip is very pronounced, your long nose seems to fit your long face.  I would need a profile photo to judge better.  If you are not too tall, the tip could be brought up some.  I am not sure I agree with the spreader grafts.  Has your nose been operated on previously?

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty is a very personal choice

+2

Without seeing your whole face (including your eyes), it would be tough to see your whole facial balance.  On the computer simulation from your surgeon, it is possible that your nasal tip was too overrotated for your liking.  You could always ask your surgeon to adjust the simulations to reflect less of a drastic change.  If you are not in agreement with the simulations as to whether you look better with these changes, then it is best not to undergo the surgery, or perhaps you could see if another surgeon may be able to create simulations more to your liking.  Be sure that your surgeon has the technical ability, meticulousness, and patience to actually approach the simulated changes closely and is willing to work with you until you can attain the results you desire. 

Thomas T. Le, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Worth It to Get a Rhinoplasty?

+2

Aesthetically, the nasal tip is under-rotated and if it were rotated up 5 degrees or so, it would solve this issue without making the nose appear "piggy" or over-shortened.  I have used an isolated incision along the anterior septal angle with appropriate trimming of the anterior septal angle to accomplish just such a tip rotation without a complete Rhinoplasty.  Quick healing and takes about 30 minutes.  Hope this helps.

Rhninoplasty Dilemma

+2

Sounds like you are uncertain about your rhinoplasty. Computer imaging that you had can be very helpful to confirm rhinoplasty as a good or bad idea.  If you didn't like the images then you have to be imaged by someone else or just go with your gut feeling and postpone the surgery for now.  If at the second imaging session you have the same sense about yoru appearance then I would not do the surgery. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is RHinoplasty The Solution?

+2

Dear Noseinnyc,

Thank you for posting your photo.

It is important that your nose remains a great fit within your facial features.

What you have brought up in your description requires a delicate and a conservative approach that will address your "roman" nose.

I encourage you to have a consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience in the field of Rhinoplasty who will be able to assess your nose and help you make a well informed decision.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty dilemma

+2

I have a similar question as previous responder: have you had a rhinoplasty surgery in the past? Your nose does have some features suggestive of prior surgery.

I agree with spreader grafts suggestion to widen the dorsum - it looks slightly narrow over  the cartilaginous portion. Very hard to accurately assess your tip rotation on the frontal view, but it seems that your tip is somewhat droopy, and this creates an illusion of a long nose. If this is the case, then improvement in tip rotation is reasonable, and if not overdone it should give you a better proportioned nose. If you want you can send your profile photos for review. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Value of Rhinoplasty

+2

The one picture submitted does show some unfavorable nasal features that can be changed. A profile view would be helpful. Have you had previous rhinoplasty surgery? An experienced surgeon will achieve a natural result; for example, your tip can be rotated without giving you a piggy look. You need to sit down with a specialist to review your options and establish goals and expecations

Nose issues

+2

I am not a big fan oc omputer imaging because it does not take into accoun the underlying strusctures or soft tissue envelope too well.  You can brush away things on imaging that physically can not always be achieved.  As for your concerns it is possible to achieve some of the things that you desire, but an in office exam would be essential.

The nose should always fit the face

+2

I find that computer imaging is an excellent tool to discuss potential changes from cosmetic rhinoplasty. Sometimes changes are not well received intially because people may be used to the way they look and are unable to relate to the altered images, but once they have surgery they are generally happy with the results. I have the new 3-D imaging that is even better for seeing how the nose can look.

The public is also often concerned about looking "piggy," since this was more common in the past. Modern rhinoplasty techniques significantly reduce that possibility. Lastly, in the photo included, you have a very nice smile and rhinoplasty should only enhance that.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Worth It to Get a Rhinoplasty?

+2

My dear your nose suits your face so much that I will never touch ti irrespective what you feel about your nose.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon