Is It Worth It to Get Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I love my nose from the front view but kind of hate it from the profile. My nose is pretty straight but there is a slight hump which makes it look rounder than straight. I photoshopped what I'd like my new nose to look like but it's very slight. Would it be worth it to get rhinoplasty and would it require having the nose broken or could it just be shaved down a tiny bit?

Nonsurgical rhinoplasty

+2

It looks like you have very specific changes that you would like to accomplish with rhinoplasty and that your expectations are certainly achievable.  Whether or not a rhinoplasty is worth it to effect your desired changes depends on how bothered you are by the profile view. 

Before jumping straight to surgery it may be worth while to consider a procedure described as "nonsurgical rhinoplasty".  I do not offer it to many people because there are very few noses that I think are good candidates for it.  However, if you would like to straighten the hump you see on the profile view without making any other changes, nonsurgical rhinoplasty is worth discussing.  Basically, an injectable filler is placed underneath the skin straighten a soft dorsal hump. 

Hope this helps.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate

+2

Your expectations are realistic.  The hump can be corrected by shaving it down rather than breaking it. Howeover, a thorough consultation process including physical examination would be needed to determine if the surgery would be appropriate.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty

+2

You would need to be examined in person to say for sure.  Your "after" picture shows the lower bridge (cartilage) being reduced.  This can certainly be done without breaking the nose.  The upper bridge is boney and reducing the nose in this area without "breaking" the bones might lead to a peculiar-looking flat area called an open-roof deformity.  Make sure your surgeon is board-cerified in Facial Plastics.

Good luck!

David Alessi, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2
Your photo shopped photo is very realistic of a good probable result of rhinoplasty for your nose. A frontal view would help in determining exactly what needs to be done regarding breaking the nose/osteotomies. In consulting with my patients I use a digital imaging computer which allows me to show the patient the proposed surgical result. It is important to make sure the nose is in aesthetic balance with all of the patients facial features. Since I am unable to see your entire face it is hard to give you a proper opinion. See a good qualified surgeon and look at his/her pre and post operative photographs, speak to the past rhinoplasty patients about their experience and find a surgeon you have a good comfortable repore with! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Should I get rhino

+1

You see yourself from the front.....other people see you from your profile. Not to say youll be doing it for other people but if you turn your head 3/4 view you will convince yourself. I think the result would be amazing

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Rhinoplasty for subtle change

+1

Whether or not it is worth it to get a rhinoplasty is impossible to say based on only the simple pictures present.  The nose is a three dimensional structure and it requires visualization from all angles to determine whether or not you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  Most noses undergo osteotomies once the hump has been removed to prevent an open roof deformity.  This also narrows the nasal bridge.  With regards to the tip, there are many different tip techniques that can be performed to effect change in all 3 dimensions.

Rhinoplasty

+1

You can definitely improve the appearance of your nose with a rhinoplasty, and make a subtle change that will enhance your own natural look.  It is difficult to determine whether or not osteotomies (fracturing of the nasal bones) would be necessary without examining your nose in person.  In some cases, an open roof deformity may occur if a nasal hump is reduced and osteotomies are not performed, or not performed properly.  It would really depend on your individual circumstances.  I would recommend a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist.  He/she will be able to morph your photo on a computer, and give you an idea of what will be necessary during surgery to achieve your desired result. Thank you and best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Dorsal hump reduction in rhinoplasty

+1

Your posted photo shows a small hump on the bridge of your nose. Whether or not it is worth it to remove the hump depends on the patient. No one can answer that but you. I am sure there are many people with that same size of hump walking around who never would or will contemplate surgery for it. Having the nose broken during surgery usually means moving the bone of the sides of the nose. That is required if the hump that is removed is large enough to leave an open roof on the bridge after its removal. For smaller humps it is not necessary because the roof is not fully opened. It is impossible to say from just your posted photo what would apply in your case.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

Your expectations from a rhinoplasty are realistic.  Of course an in person evaluation is best, but generally when a hump is not too large, the area can be shaved down without having to break the nasal bones.  The hump in the left photo gives your nose a round appearance with the illusion that your nose is hanging down, whereas the right photo gives a better defined appearance.  No one can tell you whether it is worth it to have a rhinoplasty or not.  Only you can make that determination.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can better assist you in achieving the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Worth it To Get a Rhinoplasty?

+1

A rhinoplasty would make subtle changes in your nose to give it refined appearance. An examination of your nose and a discussion of your goals will be necessary to determine if the bones need to be broken. Only you can decide if a rhinoplasty is "worth it".