Worth Having Ptosis Surgery? Becoming Self-conscious but Not Sure if Worth the Risk...

...expense, recovery time, possible complications, etc. Do others notice or is it just me? What exactly needs correcting and what are my options/alternatives to surgery? What can I expect? Will it REALLY make a difference? Will lifting of one of the eyelids expose more of the iris...still creating an imbalance? I also have occasional eyelid twitch on the ptosis eye (sometimes lasting 1-2 weeks) is it related or just stress induced? Keep going back and fourth on my decision. Please help!

+2

It seems like you have many things going on, and the only way to truly decipher your problem will be through a formal consultation., Please see an Oculoplastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.neweyelids.com/

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

+2

You only have one photo and you have quite elevated brow. Many patients will elevate their brows when their photo is being taken. Aesthetically , I can not see where you would have enough of improvement to warrant any surgery .

Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

You may have ptosis.

+2

But you are not demonstrating it in these photos.  If anything, you have palpebral tissues (distance from one lid to the other) of about 11mm (normal about 10 mm).  The upper eyelid strikes the colored part of the eye almost at the superior limbus (normal would be 1 or 2 mm lower).  On the other hand, you demonstrate a very long upper eyelid platform and very high eyebrows.  There is no upper eyelid fold.  Without knowing more, it is hard to know precisely what is going on here.  You could have latent upper eyelid ptosis and be successfully masking this with a profound compensatory brow lift.  In office testing can be done to see what happens when the eyebrows relax.  You situation could also be consistent with prior upper eyelid surgery and an aggressive brow lift.  I would recommend consulting with an oculoplastic surgeon who does aesthetic eyelid and brow surgery.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com

Ptosis surgery

+2

The eyelid twitching is likely not related to the droopy eyelid (ptosis), which needs to be examined. You appear to have bilateral upper lid ptosis, left more than right, and should be a candidate for minimal ptosis surgery. The procedure is done outpatient, under local or sedation anesthesia. The recovery is practically painless but will have a black eye for 7-10 days. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.tabanmd.com/ptosis-droopy-upper-eyelid

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis?

+1

You have at most 1mm of asymmetry in the upper lid position, certainly within the range of normal variant. Ptosis surgery itself can result in asymmetry due to overcorrection or undercorrection, as well as asymmetry in eyelid shape. I do not think the risks are worth it in your situation.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.