Likelihood of Having a Worse Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I am a male aged 36. I broke my nose when I was 9 and had it fixed shortly after. However my nose is still crooked. It's not that bad however I would love to see it straight again, which would improve the front of my nose. How hard is my case to achieve a successful result? Am I likely to have a worse result after Rhinoplasty?

Skillfully done rhinoplasty should make your nose look better.

+2

Hi.

Like much of plastic surgery, rhinoplasty is a kind of sculpture.  So it's all about the surgeon.  You want someone with a good eye and meticulous,  gentle technique.  Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures.

Straightening a Crooked Nose

+2

Hi Pmp,

Whether to have surgery to straighten your crooked nose depends on how much your nose bothers you. If it bothers you a great deal, have a few rhinoplasty consultations and then carefully choose your surgeon.

If it doesn't bother you much, then leave well enough alone.

It is difficult to determine the difficulty of straightening your nose without an examination or photographs. Sometimes it is most difficult, other times much easier depending upon your individual deformity.

Good luck and be well.

Dr.P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Straightening a crooked nose is difficult

+2

Certain starting points are easier in rhinoplasty than others.  One of the tough ones is a crooked nose.  This is not simple and your nose is almost never perfectly straight after.  Just make sure your expectations are reasonable and that you go to a rhinoplasty expert.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Nose will only look better after rhinoplasty to fix crooked nose

+1

It is important to seek out a rhinoplasty surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasties and is very comfortable straightening a crooked nose. Since it has been crooked for over 30 years, the cartilage and bone will probably have some memory and want to grow back to its normal pre-injury state. The nose should not look any worse after the surgery, only better.

Crooked Nose

+1

Although a deviated nose is one of the more difficult rhinoplasty procedures, you should have improvement. It is very unlikely your nose will look worse. The key is selecting an experienced surgeon.

Experience counts

+1

There are many skilled rhinoplasty surgeons who can improve your nose, both in appearance as well as function, if you have such a problem as well. The caveat is to choose a surgeon who has both the skill and experience. You need to do your homework, ask questions, see results, and get additional opinions if you are still undecided. Check out board certification by all means, but ask how many rhinoplasties your surgeon has performed yearly on average.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and fixing a broken nose will look much better.

+1

The surgery depends on the problem with the nose, but more importantly is the skill of the surgeon. This should result in a better looking nose.

Disappointment with rhinoplasty can be avoided

+1

Individuals with concern about the result after rhinoplasty are not uncommon and some may indeed fear 'looking worse' than before they started out. Issues such as correcting a crooked nose or a saddle or dip in the bridge are easy to understand. With these clear goals in mind it is unlikely that anyone look worse after correction. For others considering cosmetic rhinoplasty good preparation between patient and surgeon is the key to success. We often use computer simulation to 'try out' the proposed changes to make sure that the look and fit are right. The changes can be subtle to dramatic so we experiment on paper ahead of time to get things just right. With the end result clearly in mind the surprises and disappointments should be few.

Likelihood of having a worse nose after rhinoplasty?

+1

As I was taught over 30 years ago in Plastic Surgery Residency, "Anything can happen, anytime, anywhere." So the risk of having a "bad" result from a rhinoplasty are very rare, it can happen. Just like driving your car, do you expect to get in an accident? No! But it can happen. Get 3 opinions in person from boarded surgeons than proceed. Best of Luck.

Correcting a crooked nose

+1

Correcting a crooked nose either from trauma or previous Rhinoplasty is one of the most technically difficult operations to get perfect.

Depending upon how crooked your nose is it can be made straighter; however, it is near impossible to make it perfectly straight. That being said it should be unlikely that a Rhinoplasty done by a skilled Facial plastic surgeon or general Plastic surgeon with Rhinoplasty experience should be able to give you some improvement especially with breathing if that is an issue as well as appearance. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon