I am 16 years old, always hated my nose because is it big (wide). What are the risks of Rhinoplasty?

now though as I've grown, somehow a bump was formed as well as the tip of my nose points downwards when I smile, plus, the tip of my nose is separated to two sides and a line if found in the middle. I Want to know if a surgery is suggested, and id Like to know ALL POSSIBLE DISADVANTAGES, whether in the present or In The future. Can I live normally with that nose. And how much would this surgery cost?

Risks of Rhinoplasty...

+2

The risks of Rhinoplasty include scarring, bleeding, infection, nasal blockage, deformity and the need for possible revision.  With the things you describe, it sounds like you would be a good candidate for rhinoplasty, and if performed properly, you will be able to go about your everyday life as you did before. The only way to see if your a candidate is to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who has a lot of experience with rhinoplasty.  Every surgeon has their own cost for surgery, therefore I'd recommend making a few consultations with different surgeons to discuss quotes and anything else you may be curious about.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and risks

+2
Rhinoplasty is a very common and safe procedure when performed by a skilled surgeon with a lot of experience. As far as if surgery is suggested that is answered if indeed you desire to have it done. Rhinoplasty surgery is generally cosmetic in nature and not mandatory for health purposes. It would be recommended if you were a good candidate and desired the changes discussed with your surgeon. As far as disadvantages there are few when the procedure is done correctly. If you would like to send a photo of yourself to the link below I would be happy to give you my expert opinion.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty Risks

+1

I am impressed that at 16 you are mature evough to understand that a Rhinoplasty is a surgery and as such is serious.  This is not an adequate forum to provide you with a detail pros and cons of having a Rhinoplasty in your particular case because I don't know your medical history, personality nor performed an examination of your nose.  Then there's the discussion about the aesthetics of the nose and what you are hoping to achieve with your Rhinoplasty.  Are your parents in agreement?  All of these issues are relevant to your question.

I can't tell if your parents are in agreement, you are healthy and have realistic expectations and are even a suitable Rhinoplasty candidate....  You should consider having several consultations with a well experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon, together with your parents and go from there.

Rhinoplasty

+1

It sounds that you are unhappy with your nasal appearance. If your parents agree with your desires to seek consultation, then you should speak with a plastic surgeon.  Certainly nasal refinement can be done and still allow you to breathe properly.

Rhinoplasty risks

+1

The biggest risk of rhinoplasty is an unsatisfactory cosmetic result. That can be either because it actually turned out poorly or because it was not up to the patient's expectations. Beyond that, the usual risks of any surgery apply and include the following (an exhaustive list of risks is probably impossible): bleeding, infection, ugly scars, nasal congestion and obstruction, septal perforation, septal deviation, alteration of sense of smell, tip necrosis, dehiscence of the scar, not to mention anesthesia complications such as embolism, stroke, heart attack, and death.

In reality, though, those more serious medical risks are really quite small when rhinoplasty is performed on a healthy, non-smoking patient by an experienced and well-trained surgeon who has taken the time to understand the patient's specific goals. 

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty risks

+1

Probably the biggest risk of rhinoplasty is misunderstanding of the goal of the procedure. The surgery itself has proven to be quite safe. You have an good understanding of what you do not like in your nose, and together with a good rhinoplasty consultation you should be able to get a good idea of potential changes and realistic goals.

peterejohnsonmd

Go for a consultation

+1

If you do not like your nose, speak to your parents and seek a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon. They will explain the risks, complications and alternatives available to you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD