Look Worse After Acculift Following a Neck Lift

I recently had an acculift after I had a neck lift. Around my mouth looked great after the neck lift and had a little tightening around my ears to tighten around my mouth. Later when I had the acculift around my mouth looked as if there was fatty tissue. Did not look nearly as good as it did before the acculift. Can you tell me what caused it?

Acculift procedure

+2
The Acculift procedure is the trademark name for a laser lipolysis procedure that uses small fibers that delivers laser energy to areas around the jowls, neck, and mouth. The "Acculift" is nothing more than a marketing name for this particular laser treatment.
The Acculift is a creative shortcut promising fantastic results with "no downtime" to areas of the face that are troublesome. What the Acculift does is removes fat and slightly tightens the skin like other laser lipolysis procedures. The problem that I have seen is that many of the patients who are getting this procedure would do better with the addition of fat to their face or a traditional facelift.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acculift- Not So Accurate

+1

The " Acculift" procedure is a spin off of the laser liposuction for body contouring. The basic assumption is that using the laser in the facial subcutaneous plane somehow causes skin shrinkage/ tightening while also contouring the fat. The concept is poor as facial fat removal clearly exacerbates the facial aging appearance and the skin tightening caused by laser lipo has been grossly oversold. The net result is removal of fat without any skin tightening causing more laxity rather than less with deeper Nasolabial folds, perioral laxity and jowling. Returning volume to the face in the form of a "liquid lift" provides some improvement but a proper facelift will usually correct the problem.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Acculift

+1

Acculift is a trademarked minilift procedure which does not lift the deeper tissues.  As such, with many procedures, the promise does not live up to the result.  Simply lifting up the skin and suturing it will often have patients look worse.  Facelifting which truly rejuvenates the face requires extensive knowledge of the face and is based on science. 

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dissatisfaction with AccuLift results

+1

A neck lift is a true sculpting of the neck structures including the fat above and below the platysma muscle surgically and tightening the platysma muscle.

The AccuLift is a fat resculpturing procedure around the face. We do not recommend any fat removal in the face because this accelerates the aging process. The fatty tissue that is present is probably related to seromas and irregularities of the areas that were treated versus non-treated around the mouth. This is probably the result of laser lipolysis done with the AccuLift procedure.

Acculift, what?

+1

Too often there are terms that are developed to market a procedure without foucsing on the technique. The Accu lift is one such procedure and there are many others such as the Lifestyle Lift, Quick Lift, Quiet Lift, Weekend Lift, etc. Generally, they are forms of short scar face lifts but can be trademarked by surgeons in an effort to "franchize" the procedure. It is difficult to know exactly what was done in your case as there are no textbook descriptions of this.

Acculift

+1

I have not done this procedure, but having done a web search, I have found that it has been referred to by at least one doctor who uses a particular laser and may also use liposuction, but of this I am not certain. The removal of fat can change the structural support of the face and body with resultant changes in the anatomy. You may need fillers to smoothen this area, but it would be important to ask your treating physician their opinion, and possibly, to see a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist for a second opinion.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Procedure was not mentioned

+1

Dr. Mayer is a facial cosmetic surgeon, I am a plastic surgeon. I agree with him--what is this procedure that was done? What are the credentials of the surgeon (Is he a surgeon?). Let us know.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

I have no idea what an "acculift" is!

+1

There is no such procedure I know of in any text book. You would have to ask your surgeon what he did. You might see another surgeon in consultation to determine what to do now.