Should I Worry? 1 Week Post Op and Left Breast Has Been Most Painful in General?

its firmer, and much more painful (right is sore but minimal discomfort). The left breast is always shaped differntly and I noted a squishy lump about the size of 2 grapes. It's lateral near the arm pit, edge of implant. I can't sleep because every position and bra is uncomfortable. Is this normal or am I experiencing a serious complication?,

+1

It is often a question of degree.  Some amount of what you describe - asymmetric pain, appearance, etc - is fairly common; too much is not.  And that's not a decision you can or should make.  You should contact your PS and inform him/her of the situation and then be seen to try to figure out what's happening (which is not always that easy).  Your surgeon will need to make the call on this.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

One week out and sore on one side

+1

You should be addressing your concerns with your surgeon.  Its not unusual to have your breasts heal differently but if you are having issues with one side growing in size, you MUST see your doctor asap.  Pains improve over time.

Curtis Wong, MD

Concerns after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Your description is consistent with anything from “normal”  postoperative healing/recovery to the other extreme: a peri operative complication. Online consultants can only speculate and provide you with guesses, potentially increasing your anxiety unnecessarily.

You will be much better off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource to rule out complications and/or provide you with treatment recommendations/reassurance.

Asymmetric pain after breast augmentation is not uncommon but should be brought to the attention of your surgeon.

+1

Sometimes one breast is more painful than the other after breast augmentation because of the hematoma. This can and should be drained if it is present. Make sure you see your plastic surgeon.

Lumps, firming, and pain 1 week post-op is suspicious

+1

I am always suspicious when I hear that something has been going on since the time of surgery without change.  The kinds of things that you describe like pain always more on the left, the "squishy lump" at the axilla, and the different shape are highly suggestive of a hematoma to me.  I would evaluate this sooner rather than later, because at only one week post-op there is still time to evacuate the hematoma and clear the blood from the pocket.  The reason why this is important to do is that we don't know all of the things that cause capsular contracture, but the one thing that we have very little disagreement about is that blood left in the pocket to absorb on its own is quite likely to cause excessive inflammation and fibrosis leading very frequently to capsule contracture.  Clearing a pocket of blood is always a lot easier than doing a capsulectomy later, and many times, this can be done under local anesthesia with or without sedation.  If there is any question about whether there is blood around the implant or not, a simple ultrasound can be obtained easily and painlessly to document its presence before going the the OR if desired.  I would prefer to be aggressive about these things and come up negative a few times than ignore one and have to deal with a capsule contracture later.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD