Popped Suture 12 Days After Rhinoplasty

Do I have to worry about a popped suture in my nose a 12 days after my rhinoplasty? I AM SUPER SCARED!! I underwent rhinoplasty 12 days ago (May 28) for the first time in my life, closed. Yesterday I sneezed & coughed very hard & believe that because of this, a suture from inside of my nose may have popped out. It stings when I clean it with peroxide. I'm not bleeding. Should I be worried?

Popped suture after rhinoplasty.

+2

Don't worry. It is one of the dissolving sutures that normally come out. Nothing to do for it and it will not affect the outcome.

Popped Suture after Rhinoplasty

+2

NOTHING to worry about !  The inside the nose incisions are closed with dissolving stitches (usually 5-0 chromic or plain gut). These sutures are slowly broken by the body and are fall off just like happened to you. I would lay off the peroxide. It is certainly NOT beneficial to any wound and at this point may do more harm than good. Just relax - all is going according to plan.

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

The sutures I place inside the nose usually all dissolve within a short period of time. I would go back and see your plastic surgeon. See my video.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stop the Hydrogen Peroxide

+1

I will defer to the expert plastic surgeons on this site regarding the popped suture itself.

However, let me add that hydrogen peroxide should not be used on this wound. Eaglestein, an expert on wound healing, performed an interesting study some years ago. In it he used a variety of commonly recommended post-operative agents: Aquaphor, Vitamin E, Vasoline, polysporin etc. The only thing which did NOT help was hydrogen peroxide. In fact, the hydrogen peroxide arm's wounds healed slower than if it was left alone. It is irritating and seems to disrupt the macrophages.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Popped Suture after Rhinoplasty

+1

The majority of sutures placed inside the nose during a closed rhinoplasty dissolve.There is no need to clean the area with peroxide; gently place a little ointment on the tender spot. Don't worry, but call your surgeon for reassurance. 

Popped Rhinoplasty Suture

+1

Although it is highly likely that the suture in question is absorbable and designed to fall out at this time, I feel that a visit with your Surgeon is the best way to gain reassurance.  Good Luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is typical for absorbable septal sutures to fall out of your nose following Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

You should call your surgeon for reassurance. I place absorbable chromic sutures internally as a routine part of Rhinoplasty Surgery. Specifically: a quilting septal suture, and sutures to close the marginal incisions. If this occurs in my Rhinoplasty patients, I advise them to cut the stitch at the nostril margin (in front of a mirror), and not to pull on it as that could cause discomfort.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon