Should I Worry About Natrelle Implant Being Overfilled by 30cc's?

Hi Im getting 320 Natrelle HP implants being overfilled by 30cc's. I was wondering is this too much or less overfilling? I have a decent amount of B cup tissue. 5'4 105. I'm going for the natural look. suggestions or advices? thank you!

Adjusting Saline Breast Implant size during surgery

+2

All saline breast implants that are used for breast augmentation are suppose to be over-filled by about 10-15 % of their volume in order to lessen the chance of rippling. Most breast implants manufacturers in the USA indicate the range that their implants can be safely be filled.

Therefore, during breast augmentation surgery in Los Angeles, most plastic surgeon would adjust the amount of saline implant filling in order to correct breast size asymmetry.

Breast implant size/cup size?

+1

The overfilling of breast implants you described is recommended.

As far as achieving a “natural look” I find that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size or "look".  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Optimal fill for Saline Breast Implants

+1

Saline Breast Implants have an optimal fill. This fill is stated by the manufacturer. The fill of Natrelle implants is designed to give you a "natural" look. If you "over fill" them, they become more globular, firmer and less natural appearing. In order to keep the implants as natural as possible, I use the minimal fill suggested for Natrelle Breast Implants. This keeps them less globular and softer, but not enough to give rippling. Instead of "over filling" these implants, I would suggest using the next larger size.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fill volume on saline breast implants

+1

Saline breast implants can be filled to a certain volume, this is outlined on the package insert that comes with the device. A 320cc implant can be "overfilled" by at least 10% of it's volume, so an extra 30cc will be ok.  Underfilling an implant can lead to folds and wrinkles that can actually lead to rupture sooner.

Consult with your plastic surgeon for more information about your specific fill volume and your goals.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Overfilling of implants

+1

Unlike silicone implants which are a set size, saline implants require the surgeon to inject he saline to a certain volume.  The implants are a set size, but there is a manufacturer set range of volumes that the implants can contain.  As long as your surgeon is filling the implants within the recommended range, you should be okay.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Saline Breast Implants

+1

Saline breast augmentation implants come with a suggested fill range that is often 30 cc and going beyond the maximum fill volume by 30 to 60 cc depending upon the implant size is not uncommon. The impotent thing with saline breast implants is to not under fill them as this can cause wrinkles that can result in implant failure.  

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling of Saline Implants is Normal

+1

It is customary to overfill saline implants a bit (but no more than the manufacturer's recommendation).  This lessens the chance of visible rippling. On the other hand, overfilling to a volume greater than recommended by the manufacturer will usually void the implant's warranty.

John Whitt, MD

Overfilling implants

+1

Overfilling the implants a bit should not be a problem. Some do it to minimize rippling but this may cause a firmer implant.

Overfilling implant

+1

30 cc is such a small volume that it really won't be noticeable one way or the other.  The reason for differences that small is to lessen rippling or slightly improve symmetry.

Malik Kutty, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Overfilling Natrelle saline implants

+1

320cc Natrelle HP implants have a fill range of 320 - 340cc, so filling the implant to 350cc would not be a significant difference.  While the implant size may be appropriate for your frame, Natrelle high profile saline implants filled to their upper limit do not provide a natural look - they tend to create a high, round appearance to the breast.  You need to discuss your priorities with your surgeon - larger size vs. a more natural appearance.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD