Worried About Post-op Breast Augmentation Pain

Hello.35years old asian mom. have 2 children. my surgery date is on 22/dec/2010. i am so worry about the pain after surgery, 17 this month i had hemorrhoidectomy.almost 5days no BM. i was dying. drank glance of water and stool softner did there job? but my rectum inside was so swollen with unbelievable pain. end it up (ER). got miracle ointment from medical art.for almost an hour, i was in hell.still hurts,, so now, i am so worry about breast surgery..(i choose armpit incision 600cc for both)

VIDEO (click "more: below): Pain after breast implants and using exercise

+2

Pain is a difficult condition to predict and therefore to manage. Surgical techniques may help to minimize pain. A variety of medications are available to treat it . Pain pumps may help for the first couple of days but generally diminish the pain by 20-30%. Blocks during the surgery may ease pain in the first 12 hours after surgery. Many believe that range of motion exercises immediately after surgery minimize pain from muscle spasm when implants are placed under the muscle. I have included a video of these but I would highly recommend discussing it with your surgeon and proceed only on his/her advice.

Pain after Breast augmentation

+1

A hemroidectomy procedure is much more painful than a breast augmentation. Two to three days of narcotics are usually required after a breast augmentation. A 600 cc implant will be much mor painful than a 300cc implant and patients are more sore after an axillary approach than an inframammary approach so you will have more pain than the average brest augmentation.

Remember also that pain is a subjective sensation and everyone has a different pain threshold. If you can handle a hemroidectomy then you can handle a breast augmentation.

Leo Lapuerta MD

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Breast and anal pain are different

+1

Hemorrhoidectomy pain will be bad without doubt. Pain after a Breast Augmentation procedure should be much less.

In your case you mention the trans-axillary incision and 600 cc implants. The size of your implants will make the pain much greater than a more modest size implant. The trans-axillary incision and this size implant are more difficult to get the correct position.

You should discuss this procedure with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon .

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

+1

Recovery after a breast augmentation shouldn't be horrible. In most cases, my patients only take narcotic pain medication for a few days.  Don't compare breast augmentation recovery to recovery after any other surgery--that's like comparing apples and oranges.  I am a little concerned, though, about your choice of 600cc implants.  Those are HUGE, and may lead to skin stretching and implant palpability, wrinkling and rippling, and implant displacement.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Pain after Breast Augmentation

+1

All surgical procedures result in a degree of discomfort. This is typically well-controlled with oral pain medication and sometimes muscle relaxers. Be tough, you can get through it like everyone else. Most of the discomfort is related to generalized pressure on the chest, and having to sleep on your back. The amount of pain one experiences is related more to  individual differences in what someone tolerates more so than the nature of the breast augmentation. Constipation can be an issue after oral pain medication, so I would be prepared for that by taking stool softeners and following a light soft diet after surgery. 

Hayley Brown, MD

Post operative Breast augmentation pain

+1

The pain response from surgery is different for every patient. It is this unpredictability which makes the management of pain difficult. Therefore, we deal in generalities. For a breast augmentation, in general it is a very well tolerated procedure. Some surgeons perform intercostal nerve blocks and others use pain pumps. However, postoperative narcotic pain pills are the standard treatment.  I would suggest that you discuss this in depth with your surgeon so that they understand your concerns. Also, if you plan on taking narcotic pain pills, I would suggest a stool softener as well to help with the constipation that follows.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Pain after breast implant surgery

+1

Hemorrhoid surgery is notorious for being painful afterward. So painful in fact that the recommend you only sit on a hemorrhoid pillow. Breast augmentation surgery is quite different. The pain experienced afterward is dependent on whether the implant was placed over or under the muscle, the implant size, personal patient reactions to pain, physician surgical technique, use of muscle paralyzing agents during surgery (if implants placed under the muscle), etc. The best way for you to calm your apprehensions is to ask to speak to a few patients of your chosen surgeon. Ask them what the pain was like, what made the pain better or worse and how long before they could do whatever they wanted without fear of pain. I am sure those patients will relieve your concerns.

Aaron Stone, MD

Pain control following breast augmentation

+1

There are several methods that have been provided to you that help with post-operative pain control.  Pain pumps might help but are expensive, marcaine in the pocket is very inexpensive and does help.

Large implants (greater than 400cc) are more painful due to the stretching and tightness.  An axillary incision and pocket dissection is more painful than an incision in the breast fold.  Discuss all of these options with your surgeon and hopefully you can be as comfortable as possible.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation Pain

+1

You really need to discuss with your chosen surgeon. We here on the internet can only alleviate your minor issues. You have a pain fear issue that needs attention to make the recovery as easy as possible. 

Breast augmentation pain

+1

Please understand that the pain after an augmentation is much less than hemorrhoid surgery.  It can be well managed with narcotics and muscle relaxants.  However, the more anxious a patient is (YOU!!) the more pain you will feel especially with huge implants like 600's that will stretch your muscles substantially.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS