Should I Worry About Benign PVCs and Surgery?

I am getting a mommy makeover on July 9, tummy tuck and breast augmentation. I was diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago (after my first c section is when they started), with benign PVCs. I have had a handful of echo cardiograms and EKGs and also halter monitors. My most recent echo was 9 mths ago and it was perfect and I wore an event monitor for a month, and that came back clear too. Should I be worried about medical clearance? Should I be worried about going under with benign PVCs? Thanks!

Benign PVCs

+2

With the Holter & Echo, you have already undergone the cardiac workup to make the diagnosis that your PVCs are “Benign”.  The appropriate definition of benign is: Having little or no detrimental effect; harmless.  You can proceed with surgery and not worry about it.  To make sure nothing is overlooked, you should get a copy of the recent Holter & Echo reports, as well as a cardiac clearance letter, for your anesthesiologist to review.

Dr.B

PVC history

+2

It sounds like you've already undergone a cardiology workup for your benign PVCs.  My anesthesiologist would likely recommend a cardiac clearance letter (summarizing the workup) prior to surgery.  Make sure you have your procedure in a fully accredited surgery center or hospital.  You want to be monitored during surgery and in the recovery room.  Best wishes!
Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

PVC's and cosmetic surgery

+2

As long as you're cleared by your cardiologist and medical doctor, you should be okay proceeding with surgery.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Even benign PVCs before mommy makeover should be signed off by cardiologist.

+2

Many patients have occasional PVCs and can safely undergo surgery. I would make certain your cardiologist is aware of your plans and is okay with them.

Mommy Makeover and Cardiac Clearance

+2

Seeing that you have had such complete evaluation prior to this time I don't think you have any worries.  I always ask patients to obtain a short note from their cardiologist to state they are ok for the general anesthesia.  A copy of the note is sent to the board certified anesthesiologist prior to the day of surgery so there are no problems the morning of surgery and any tests that would be needed.

Thomas P. McHugh, MD

Benign PVCs and Mommy Make-Over

+2

Thank you for asking about your Mommy Make-over with benign PVCs.

• Take a copy of your heart evaluation to your mommy-make over consultation.
  • Your plastic surgeon may want your cardiologist to clear you for surgery in writing before your mommy make-over
  • Your mommy make-over should be in an accredited operating room with an anesthesiologist available. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Cardiac Clearance Prior to Surgery

+2

Your surgeon, along with anesthesia will want a cardiac clearance letter from your cardiologist prior to surgery.  It sounds like you have had a through workup, which is good.  If given the OK,  you should be fine for surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Benign PVCs

+2

It appears you have done all the proper preoperative testing for this condition. Medical clearance ultimately will depend on the opinion of your plastic surgeon once he or she has all the proper information. However, a letter from your cardiologist stating there are no contraindications to undergoing this procedure should give your plastic surgeon and the anesthesiologist confidence that your surgery can be performed safely.I hope this helps.

Gus Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Cardiac clearance for elective cosmetic surgery

+2

It certainly sounds that you had a very thorough work up.  If you have had a recent examination by your cardiologist then it would be good to bring this with you at the time of your pre-operative examination.  If you have been given the okay then you will be fine for your surgery.  

Mommy Makeover Surgery and PVCs?

+2

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to discussing the need for  medical “clearance”. Remember that he/she is ultimately responsible for your care.

Generally speaking, it sounds like you have had a pretty thorough workup;  it is probable that no further workup will be necessary. Again, best to check with your own plastic surgeon for relevant/meaningful answers.

Best wishes with your upcoming mommy makeover procedures.