Considering Rhinoplasty, Should I Worry About Hay Fever?

Consider rhinoplasty. Bit worried about sensetive tissue/septum(?); bit wounded & bleeding somethimes. Related 2 hayfever 4 pressure inside & sneeze. Therefore; what would be wise? Any advices on fragile 'bleeding' inside tissue & hayfever during & after chirurgy? No need 4 worries? And what about hayfever medication after nosejob? Like to know all your expierences related to the above standing details. Nosejob recovery in autum/winter/snow times? Cold/snow/rain/wind could do any harm? Tips?

How will hay fever be affected by rhinoplasty?

+1
Hay fever is a common condition in which the lining at the back of your nose has a tendency to become inflamed and thickened by an allergy to pollen. Characteristically this can result in symptoms of stuffiness, sneezing and nasal discharge. Rhinoplasty will result in swelling immediately after the surgery that can result in symptoms of congestion, rhinoplasty will not change or be affected by the hay fever. Rhinoplasty will change the shape of your nose however it will not effect the lining of the nose, and tendency for hay fever will remain after rhinoplasty and require the same treatment including antihistamines.

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and hay fever

+1

Hay fever is best treated with either nasal inhaled steroids or over-the-counter antihistamine pills.  This will manage your symptoms before, during, and after the rhinoplasty.  Any bleeding that occurs is usually related to irritation and dry air, which can be cauterized in the office if there is persistent bleeding.  Rhinoplasty or a nose job procedure is performed throughout the year regardless of the weather or seasonal changes.  

Rwecovery after rhinoplasty

+1

Allergies should not have a major impact on the rhinoplasty or bleeding. It may however affect the airflow perceived due to swollen tissues.

Nasal Allergies and Rhinoplasty

+1

Nasal allergies are very common and many of my patients suffer from them.  It is very unlikely to present a problem.  If you have very severe "hay fever" at a certain time of year it would be wise to not have the surgery at that time of year.  For example, some people have virtually uncontrolled nasal discharge, violent and incessant sneezing, severe itching, watery eyes, eyes that swell dramatically, and/or other severe symptoms.  If this is you, schedule the surgery for a different season.  If you have more typical allergy symptoms (stuffiness, occasional sneeze, mild discharge, itching, etc) then you should be able to have your surgery without concern managing your symptoms much like you would normally.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Allergies and cold weather considerations in rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Kees,

• Sure, you should have your allergies under control before nasal surgery, but overall the post operative course for patients with allergies can be managed with your typical medications.  
  • In regards to whether cold winter weather or snow should be considered in choosing when to do a rhinoplasty, most patients don't complain about problems.  A few rare post operative patients say that their nose feels sensative for a while when breathing cold weather air.  
  • I would suggest scheduling your rhinoplasty when you have sufficient time to recover, regardless of season. 

Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Allergy treatment and rhinoplasty

+1

Having nasal allergies dosn't typically present an issue with healing after rhinoplasty. You can certainly take your allergy medication leading up to surgery, but should ask your surgeon whether to hold them right afterwards or not. I usually have my patients stop any nasal steroid sprays for a couple weeks after surgyery.

There is really any difference with overall healing after surgery based on the seasons. In my experience you may have a little bit more external swelling after rhinoplasty done during hotter months and comparativley less swelling in colder months. Your end result shouldn't be affected by this though.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty and Allergies

+1

I am asked that question on occasion by my own patients who are afraid that they may sneeze after the surgery.

While bleeding after the surgery is a concern, its never been a big issue. In my experience, you are no more likely to have a problem if you have allergies. I have done surgery on patients in the middle of active allergy treatments, like shots (immunotherapy) and it has never caused a problem. It is fine to take antihistamines after surgery. Usually I have patients wait a few days until they are no longer taking pain medications.

Nasal septal surgery usually helps decrease or eliminate bleeding issues.

Its an issue to be aware of but not one to cause undue concern.

All the best

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon