Should I Be Worried After Blepharoplasty? (photo)

I had a bilateral Ptosis repair and blepharoplasty two weeks ago. Straight out of surgery my right eyelid was lower than my left and I appeared lopsided although I was assured all would come right when the swelling went down. Since then there has been no change in the right eye and I look very odd. When I had my stitches out my surgeon said that after surgery I appeared symmetrical but the repaired tendon had behaved rather erratically. Will this settle on its own?

+2

Again 2 weeks is much took early to see swelling decrease enough to have a result effect. Also you might have lagopthalmus effect. Or you have ptosis in the befores. 

At two weeks, swelling is normal.

+2

Swelling can have a profound affect on the upper eyelid position.  As this swelling resolves, often the asymmetries also improve.  Two weeks after surgery it is hard to know what type of result you will ultimately have.  It is much easier 2 months after surgery.  Unfortunately, eyelids need to open and close even as they are healing from these surgeries.  For this reason, it is not unusual to have some differences even is very well performed eyelid surgery.  I suspect that your differences will diminish as you heal but remember that is quite common to need a touch up after ptosis surgery.

Should I Be Worried After Blepharoplasty?

+1

2 weeks after these surgeries swelling will obscure the possible result.  It is too early to worry.  Continue to follow with your surgeon.                                                                                                                                     Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                          Los Angeles, CA

Upper Lid Asymmetry After Ptosis Repair

+1

Two weeks is not nearly long enough to determine if your eyelids will be symmetric. A minimum of 6 weeks are necessary and maybe longer depending on the cause of your ptosis, whether or not it was symmetric preop and the type of repair performed. It is not uncommon to need a secondary procedure in ptosis repair. It is easier to gain symmetry if the procedure is done without general anesthesia. This especially important for secondary "fine tuning" procedures where a millimeter or two makes a noticeable difference.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon