If Ruptured, Could Silicone Memory Gel Implants Migrate Through the Body and Cause Problems?

I got silicone gel implants two months ago, the MemoryGel kind by Mentor. I am worried I wont be able to detect a leak down the road. If my silicone implants rupture, is it possible the silicone migrate at all? I know that its not common, but could it??? Could it migrate to my lungs, brain, etc? If so will I die? Silicone poisoning? Could someone scan my body to detect silicone migration? Could it all be removed? Whats the worst case scenario? Ugh freaking out please help.

Don't freak out! None of this is proven to ever happen

+2

After dozens of years of study by world renowned experts it has never been proven that silicone can migrate to your brain your lungs or your arms and legs.  All of your organs are safe and you have no chance of getting wrecked by silicon in your body.  The new highly cross linked silicone molecules in your implants prevent movement outside of your pocket where the implants are sitting.  They are sticky and cannot be broken down by any of your bodies fluids.

All that being said I wonder how much research you did before you got these implants.  Your doctor should have explained this to you before the surgery and both manufacturers have web sites where you can read all about this.

Finally, at two months there is zero chance your implants have broken anyway.  But if you can't sleep at all at night because you are too worried about this then maybe this wasn't a good idea for you in the first place and you should go back to your doctor to have them removed. I hope you can learn to live with them however, especially if you like what it did for your figure.

Implants and migration of silicone

+1

In general, if an implant ruptures, the gel stays within the confines of the breast capsule or jsut outside the capsule. On occasion it can make its way to the local lymph nodes.  I have yet to see reports that the silicone migrates around the body.

Silicone Gel Breast Implants?

+1

The advantage of the newer " cohesive gel” silicone implants is that in the event of a leakage the silicone does not spread pass the capsule tissue surrounding the breast implant.

You may want to refer to the FDA website or the breast and manufacturers'  websites for more specific information regarding cohesive gel breast implants and safety concerns.

Hopefully, after you have done your research you will  enjoy the results of the surgery.