Worried About Upper Eyelid Swelling After 5weeks Recovery, When Will the Shape Come Back?

My eye surgery upper/lower and brow was performed 51/2 wks ago and one upper Eyelid is extremely swollen, and the shape of my eye was almond and now more Round, will the shape come back

Wait three months

+3

Post op eyelid results can improve for months after surgery. 3 months is the minimum time to wait. Even if revision is needed, I would wait at least 6 months before attempting. There are some exceptions to this rule [if the eye is at danger of infection, for example], but this is rare after cosmetic surgery.

Please see your surgeon and be patient.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid swelling 5 weeks after surgery is a concern.

+3

Eyelids swell after surgery but it usually resolves relatively quickly, like in 2 - 3 weeks.  As only 1 of your lids is very swollen, I would have this addressed by your surgeon as to why there is such asymmetry.  It may be a normal variant but it makes sense to check it out anyway.  This also gives you a chance to ask about the eye shape and the likely resolution of that.  Good luck.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

+3

I have performed eyelid surgery for over 20 years.  It can take up to 3 months for swelling to resolve following upper eyelid surgery.

Eyelid shape and swelling after surgery

+3

eyelid shape and swelling after surgery:

• this can take time to settle
  • ice can still help
  • pineapple juice, fresh or bromelain can help
  • topical maxitrol or similar cream may benefit
  • bendryl or clariton can help

Persistent swelling after eyelid surgery.

+2

Elainne

Agree with Dr. McCracken, by 5 weeks many upper eyelids following surgery should be settling down.  However, there are always a few stragglers.  It may be that you are in this group.  Because it can take time for some for the eyelid to settle down, it is advisable to be patient and generally I recommend giving this type of eyelid situation 4 months to settle down.  Having said that, I also agree that you should be assessed by your surgeon to discuss your progress.  Consider reposting your question with photographs.

Swelling After Eyelid Surgery

+1

Five and 1/2 weeks after eyelid surgery, most (but not all) of the swelling should be gone.  I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon