Worried About Tubular Breasts? (photo)

I think I have tubular breasts, im in my early 20's and they haven't ever grown or really changed shape. Im not comfortable with the appearance of them at all but had always planned to have augmentation after having children as I would like to breastfeed, but today I learnt that the chances are if they are actually tubular, I wont be able to anyway. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Worried About Tubular Breasts?

+2

There are some women with so little glandular breast tissue that nursing may be difficult. Tubular breasts alone are not an additional  risk factor.

It appears that you have a modest amount of breast tissue, and nursing seems a reasonable possibility. Call a local La Leche League for best encouragement! All the best. 

Tubular breasts and breast feeding

+1

Your breasts look somewhat tubular because of the lack of fill in the lower pole but could be filled out with a properly fitted and positioned implant. 

It sounds as if you think that breast augmentation has an effect on breast feeding. This is not a significant risk for a breast augmentation as the breast itself can be completely unaffected by an implant behind it. It is not possible to know if you can successfully breast feed before pregnancy, but the implant shouldn't effect it. Pregnancy, however, can have significant effect on the size and shape of the breast even without breast feeding. This is also unrelated to the presence of a properly sized and positioned implant. The current tubular shape of your breast should also have no effect on your ability to breast feed.

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Worried About Tubular Breasts?

+1

Where did you hear about this issue of tuberous breast not being able to breast feed? This IS NOT the case. Please discuss with your OB/GYN 

Tuberous breasts

+1

It is not necessarily a contraindication to breast feeding. If you have enough gland then you should be able to. Your breast deformity can be corrected with surgery.

Worried About Tubular Breasts?

+1

Borderline, you have small amount of skin in the lower pole, surgery can correct them.

Spanish translation provided by doctor: 

En el limite, usted tiene poca cantidad de piel en polo inferior, la cirugia puede corregirlo.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

A tubular breast can be augmented

+1

Your breasts can be augmented. Breast feeding is possible with breast implants. On a rare occasion a patient will have very tight skin of the lower breast and this makes augmentation more challenging but it can still be done. I would not worry.

Ralph M. Rosato, MD
Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon