Worried About the Healing Process After a Blepharoplasty? (photo)

Hi there, I had a lower Blepharoplasty 10 days ago and I'm worried about the amount of lumpy flesh right under my eyes. I've noticed that the lumps, swelling don't appear to be going down and I look worse than I did before I had the operation done. There is also a lot of scarring under the eyes (not the lower lash area where the incision was but further down) plus it looks uneven. I'm very concerned about this and I'm worried this may not ever go away. Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

I have to agree with you.

+2

The lower eyelid incisions are a little strange.  I suspect that no matter how much they improve, there will be some residual issues with the lower eyelid.  What you and I can't know right now is if will these residual issues bother you enough to motivate you to have a revisional surgery.  It is a funny thing.  I am sure at this moment you are very disappointed with the result.  That feeling may persist or even get stronger.  Or as the area heals the issues may not bother you as much and your feelings and awareness of the issues may diminish.  I would keep an open mind, let yourself heal, and then decide at the 6 to 12 month time frame if you have an issue worth fixing.  I would not recommend having steroids injections to "improve" healing or let yourself get talked into a quickie-fix in the office.

Blepharoplasty Healing Process

+1

Ten days following a blepharoplasty is far too early to tell if you will be pleased with the work or not.  There is still quite a bit of swelling and bruising in the area and it can take several weeks for it to subside; sleeping in an upright position will help with some of it. Sometimes patients can get upset because they expect to see their results fast, but the healing process is something you want to let take its course naturally.

Our recommendation is to give it more time and follow up with your treating surgeon on the regular schedule for this type of procedure. If in a year the area is still not what you were hoping, I recommend seeking out a consult for revision, but not before then, as you want the area and incisions to be as healed as possible. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Worried About the Healing Process After a Blepharoplasty?

+1

I would not be overly alarmed at this point.  I think that swelling can play a great deal with early surgical results.  Surgery can be executed flawlessly, but healing is not entirely predictable.  I suspect that in a few more weeks you will be happy.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Blapharoplasty

+1

It's too early to make any decisions.  Right now, just allow the area to heal and see your surgeon regularly.  It will take 6 months to a year to see the final results.  At that time you can decide whether you want any more surgery or revisions.  

I know it looks distressing right now (and the areas do look unusual), but you can't undo the surgery.  Scars around the eyes tend to heal incredibly well with time.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  If you don't like the response, get a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Blepharoplasty and results

+1

Ten days post-op it is too early to see the final result. Give it more time to heal. If you have  major concerns then talk with your surgeon.