Should I Be Worried- Small Infection After Breast Uplift? (photo)

I am 8 weeks post op (implants and uplift) and this morning I noticed a little raised red lump on part of my scaring, I left it and when I returned from work it had turned yellow. As I looked closer the yellow gunk came out but only a little, so I have (hopefully) removed all the gunk, washed just using clean water and cleaned it after with an anti septic liquid and covered it with a plaster. The hole looked clean but I wondered what I should do and most of all should I be worried? :-(

Minor wound healing problems after breast lift are usually not infection.

+2

Minor wound healing issues along the incision often seen after a mastopexy. Seldom is this the result of infection. Management is usually keeping the wounds cleaned with soap and water allowing time to close the defect.

Infection after breast lift with implants

+1

Sounds like you have done all that you alone can do.  I would very strongly recommend calling your surgeon and being seen as a course of antibiotics sooner rather than later would likely be beneficial.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Should I Be Worried- Small Infection After Breast Uplift?

+1

You have a suture abscess from a “spitting” suture. Just keep it clean and it should heal well.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Healing Issues after Breast Lift/Augmentation

+1
  • This is likely just a small area of delayed healing where a suture is being/or has been "spit" out from the incision.  This is not uncommon.
  • Keeping it moist with some Bacitracin ointment and a Band-Aid until it heals is likely all that will have to be done.
  • However, I would definitely follow up with your plastic surgeon in the near future, so he/she can closely evaluate your breast.
  • Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Small Infection After Breast Uplift

+1

This looks like a low grade infection from a suture. If it is still present, your surgeon should remove it. If it has already fallen out, it will heal uneventfully. Do call your surgeon for advice. All the best. 

Breast implant breast uplift wound issue

+1

Hello Babypag,

Your photos look as though you have had a nice early result - congratulations. However at 8 weeks post surgery that wound defect is not what I'd want to see. The implant might not be too far away and is would be very important to protect it from exposure (and possible infection). If you haven't yet done so, I think you need to make contact with your surgeon without delay and let him/her check your wound. This may well just be a suture coming through but your implant might be at risk if the wound has any depth.

Best wishes

Adrian Knox, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

Go see your surgeon ASAP! there care and treatment camn be provided in a medical manner. Do not self treat! 

Stitch abscess after breast lift

+1

Hi Babypag

Your photos are indicative of a 'stitch abscess'. These happen from time to time with dissolvable sutures. They are just a breakdown of skin around a suture that is dissolving. 8 weeks out is a bit unlucky, but not a cause for concern.

I'd keep the area clean whilst it heals. I encourage my patients to use Chloromycetin ointment (the eye ointment) and cover the area with a band aid. They usually heal up within a week or so.

If you can see a small thread in the ulcer, see your surgeon and they will remove it for you and provide you with their advice on how to manage the area whilst it heals.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

8 weeks post-op with incision issues

+1

These are best reviewed with your surgeon but what you describe is most likely a stitch abscess and should resolve on its own, especially if you appreciated any material in the discharge.  Good wound care will lead to its resolution but if you experience spreading redness, you must contact your surgeon.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift ?infection

+1

Looks like a stitch abscess, the best treatment is to remove it and let it heal with dressings.

The sutures used take around 2-3 months to dissolve, if they don't the body likes to "spit" them out and what you describe is a classic example of that.

Make sure you let your plastic surgeon know so that he/she is aware of this. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned as the wounds all look healthy and well healed.

Pouria Moradi, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon