Concerned about Getting Cold / Flu Before Rhinoplasty, How Will This Affect my Surgery?

My Breast Aug. and Rhino is this Thurs, 9/29/11. I am concerned with becoming sick during this week. I work in a hotel bar where I come into contact with a lot of people. I work Monday and Tueday night and am taking Wednesday (the night before) off. Everyone around me is coming down with the flu or a cold or something. Some of the wait staff is becoming ill. If I were to become sick , how would this affect my surgery? I'm taking 1000 mg Vitamin C/day.

+1

Wash your hands frequently throughout the day and avoid touching things and then your mouth or nose until your hands are washed.  It's not an absolute contraindication for haviing a Rhinoplasty if you have a cold as long as your lungs are clear and you do not have a fever.  IMHO however, there may a slight increase in bleeding, during the Rhinoplasty, which could make the procedure more difficult for the Rhinoplasty Surgeon especially if he/she's not very experienced in Rhinoplasty Surgery.

Vitamin C is a good preoperative plan for avoiding illness

+1
Vitamin C does help boost the immune system and is good to take prior to surgery. I start all of my patients on vitamin C 500mg three times a day for three days prior to their procedure. Wash your hands a lot and get plenty of rest and you should be fine. If you have a flu or temperature prior to your procedure then it would have to be rescheduled. Wishing you well and a healthy happy surgical day!

Michael Elam, MD