Should I Be Worried About Scarring or Darkening of Mole Area? (photo)

I had a bandage on two moles for a week and removed the bandage for about 2-3 days of sun exposure. I read that I need to protect them from the sun and have been covering them ever since I learned this. They have brown rings around the scabs. It has been about 15 days and this is what they look like. Should I be worried about dark pigmentation and/or scarring? Or should they come out ok? I am very worried they will be brown spots on my face. Will they eventually blend into my skin color?

Melarase for dark skin after mole removal

+1

Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation can occur during wound healing.  Sunscreen and the use of Melarase cream can reduce the risk. 

Mole removal

+1

I would highly recommend that you use a sunscreen on the area and minimize sun exposure.  There should be no need to put a bandage on the area anymore.  If you have any concerns, I would recommend that your see your physician that did the procedure. 

Sam Naficy, MD

Darkening of moles

+1

I'm unclear as to whether you had surgery on the moles to remove them.  Was the bandage placed on them after they were removed?  If this is the case, and it was done 15 days ago, it is still too early to judge the final healing.  It is important to protect them from the sun as they heal, so you should be using sunscreen daily.  It may take several months still for them to heal and before you can judge their final color.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon