I'm a Little Worried About my Size Decided for my Surgery?

Looking at getting 550cc 34D Im 5'6" 125lbs medium frame sagging due to nursing 2 babies Im worried from looking at others results that I will end up being larger than a D

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Size result with 550cc implants

+1

This sounds like another example of starting with an implant volume and working backwards rather than looking at what implant diameter fits your breast and looking at your forward profile volume choices and increasing your apparent size from one (lowest profile) to two (highest profile) cup sizes from what you start from. I also do not find external sizers to be helpful and can be misleading. 

Measure the base width of your breast across the nipple when you are upright with arms down. The diameter of the implant that will fit you will be about 1 cm narrower than this. If you are a mid B cup now and you choose a high profile implant of that width, you should end up looking about two cup sizes larger which would be a D. The number of cc's is then looked up on the implant charts

If you were choosing a dress or shoe you would not start by picking a dress or shoe size and making it fit you. Implants are just pillows but they have to fit your breast (and be positioned properly) to make your breast look natural and look 1-2 cup sizes larger (in your same chest circumference). 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

550 cc implants

+1

If you have nailed down the size with your surgeon but still are unsure about it, then I suggest you do a baggy test with the volume to see if you like it.  This will give a rough estimate.

They correct size breast implant for me?

+1

This is  a difficult question without personally examining you.  The ultimate size depends on how much breast tissue you start with.  Keep in mind "cup size" is highly variable between bra manufacturers.  This is why communication with your plastic surgeon is vital.  Try on various implants and look in a mirror.  This is not a perfect method, but may get you in the ball park.  Be sure that the implant fits within the range of your base diameter and ask if a breast lift and a smaller implant would accomplish the same goal.  Placing a larger implant to avoid a breast lift is not always the best decision.  

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

Ideal breast implant matches breast width

+1

Thank you for your question.  The ideal way to decide the correct size for you is based on your existing breast width and your frame.  Generally, I rarely use implants of that volume size except for women who have large frames.  At 5'6" and 125lbs, in my office I would not use 550cc size for you.  It will be too large.  Also, if you are sagging, maybe you need a lift?  Do not use an overly large implant to compensate for NOT having a lift.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

550 cc and Larger than a D Cup

+1

Although an exam is critical in sizing, sample sizers in the office can be used to help determine the right volume for you.  In general, if you are an A cup, a 550 cc volume would put you in the neighborhood of a D cup.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Worried About Breast Implant Size Before Surgery?

+1

Given your concerns, nothing will replace additional time spent with your plastic surgeon. Communicate these concerns with him/her and make sure that you are both on the same page when it comes to your goals. Remember, that discussing your goals in terms of cup sizes can be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I much prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

Again, make sure you feel much more comfortable before proceeding with surgery.

I'm a Little Worried About my Size Decided for my Surgery

+1

Nothing is as useful as an in person exam for giving size advice. Without photos or some measurements, and without knowing your current cup size it is really not possible to predict the outcome with 550cc implants.

There are no fixed definitions of cup size, and many patients can fit into bras with 3 different cup sizes! 

I would suggest trying on sizers of 550cc. That will give a clue as to what you may look like with that size. Those are pretty big implants for someone weighing 125 pounds. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Get more information BEFORE surgery

+1

Without examining you, it is impossible to give you good advice about surgical results and expected bra size.  (Even with a consultation and exam, it may not be possible to be exact with the desired results, but we can make a reasonable recommendation.)  In very general terms, 550 cc sounds like it may produce larger than a 34 D result.

Speak with your surgeon again.  Bring photos of what you are trying to achieve.  Most of us will take this into account to help you get the results you desire.  It is important to have these discussions before surgery.  Best of luck.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon