Worried About my Implant Not Matching my Bwd

I will be receiving 350-375cc high profile silicone implants under the muscle next week. I am currently a 34a and have a ribcage of 29 but my bwd is 15.5. I'm worried that because the implant is so narrow that I will have the softball on my chest look instead of the nice slope. Help!

Breast implants and breast width

+2

As Dr. Baxter nicely said, the base width is critical in choosing the right implant.  The profile makes the "look" you want in the upper pole and the base width makes sure it fits your frame.  The volume is the least important consideration because it is just what it takes to fill up the properly chosen profile implant of the proper diameter.  Without examining you, if your diamenter behind the breast is truly 15.5 cm then I think a 350-375 HP implant might look like tennis balls with a mile in the middle - not a good look.

How to select the right breast implant dimensions

+2

It is encouraging to see patients asking about base diameter and breast implant profiles, because it is so important in getting to the final result that matches your body. To put it simply, the implant diameter is smaller than the measured external breast diameter, in order to account for the thickness of the fat layer, breast tissue, and skin. This depends on your body type, so for example it will be different for a thin person than someone with more subcutaneous fat. Once you have selected a size (volume), then the profile type is selected on the basis of your measured base. A high profile 0f 350-375 cc on a 15 cm base seems like a mismatch but might be appropriate for a 29" chest. Your own plastic surgeon is in the best position to advise on this.

Choosing your implant size

+2

Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient.  I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc..  Some places have you put bags of rice or implants in your bra – that is normally not very accurate.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Forget about implant size and your chest circumfence

+1

Pick a photograph of what you wish to look like after surgery and give it to your surgeon.  At the time of surgery, he can insert different size implants (sizers) to judge what your eventual outcome will be.  Pick a good surgeon in your area.

Ideal breast implant size

+1

Without the benefit of an exam or photos, I suggest another visit with your surgeon before your operation to voice your concerns.  If you are not persuaded by their explanation then get a second opinion.  Resolve questions preop not post op.  Best wishes

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

+1

As you can read each expert has a slightly differing view. This tells you it is very hard to advise over the internet and no photos were posted. Based on the very limited info and measurements I must defer to your chosen surgeon as the best judge. My feeling is do you want width or projection in the HP vs MP+ implants? Again over the net very very hard to advise. seek either more in person discussions with your PS or second opinions. 

Worried About my Implant Not Matching my Bwd. Answer:

+1

I must admit, am not a real fan of HP implants. I find them too narrow and square looking in many cases and simply too large when matching the BWD in many women. So while there are many factors in getting a good result, I usually reserve HP implants for my little group of Vietnamese nail tech patients that have a BWD of 11cm..for a random example! One suggestion may be to visit with your surgeon again and see if they have some actual implants to see..It may help in your decision

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Is a high profile breast implant right for me?

+1

Your breast width is very important in determine the right breast implant for your breast. The most natural look and sleeker contour will be achieved with a breast implant that is close to your breast width by 1.5-2.5 cm. In your case, if your breast width is 15.5 cm and you are choosing a 350-375 cc high profile implant, the implant will not fill your entire breast. This will create an unatural appearance or "baseball" look.

Web reference: http://www.elpasoplasticsurgery.com/pages/dr-agullo

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right breast width diameter implant

+1

It sounds like you have done your homework and learned about some of the important aspects of breast augmentation.  Breast width diameter is an important measurement because an implant that is much too narrow will look abnormal and fail to give both the medial (inside) and lateral (outside) portions of your breasts the round, sensual look that is associated with good looking breasts.  Conversely, a implant that is wider than your BWD will contribute unnecessarily to the lateral aspect of your breasts puching them toward your arm and armpit.  My recommendation is as follows:

Accurately determine what you current  cup size is

Estimate what your desired cup size should be

Try on a series of MP+ and HP implants within the volume range that will allow you to achieve your cup size.  Doing so and taking these measurement into account will give you an idea of which implant is best for you.  As an aside, 15.5 cm may be a little off for a chest circumeference of 29 with an A cup breast.

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Question from RealSelf.com implants and base width measurment

+1

Your concerns regarding the chosen implant size and your BWD seem appropriate.  If you have questions, I would strongly suggest that you meet with your surgeon again before surgery.   The Allergan style 20 high profile 375 cc implant has a diameter of 11.7 cm, so it is difficult to ascertain why your surgeon is recommending these particular implants.  I suspect that the BWD of 15.5 cm is incorrect.  Without examining you it is impossible to give a definitive opinion.   Meet with your surgeon to finalize your choice.  Good luck.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon