Worried About HP Implant...Will It Be Too Round For My Build?

Hi, I'm 42, 5'5" 115lbs, My ps has reccommended smooth, round, HP silicone implants 350, I'm concerned about upper breast fullness and not having the natural teardrop shape. I am just wanting to be proportionate, my band width is 32, stretch was 4.5 and 4.8, the other measurement was 11 maybe 11.7? I went in expecting to get a Moderate profile or Mp+ suggested, not HP, I only want to be a small c, also a little concerned about asymetry. Is this a good choice for me?

Breast implant size and type?

+3

Thank you for the question and picture.

I am also not a big fan of high-profile  implants accept for the rare patient who is looking for the “projecting/round look”. Without the benefit of examining you I would have guessed that a MP+  implant might work best to achieve your goals.

Some general words of advice you may find helpful:

Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

HP implant?

+2

I think the HP implant might be a little too round for you considering your concerns and goals. If you are looking for a natural result I would recommend the Moderate Plus implant even if it means that you compromise a little on size, ie not being quite as large as you want. You'll be happier in the long run. I would guess 300-350cc will work fine.

Ronald Schuster, MD

High profile implants may not be the best choice for you!

+2

You seem to have properly informed yourself before consultation, and then had a recommendation that is at odds with what probably IS best for you. I agree with your own assessment (however that was obtained) that a moderate or moderate plus implant will give a more natural proportionate look, and have less of the high, round, artificial, "Baywatch" look that some patients and surgeons tend to prefer.

I agree with my colleagues who have answered thus far; I think you would be better served by implants in the 350-400cc size range (different sizes if your breast volume is asymmetrical) and moderate or perhaps moderate plus profile. The wider the implant base, the closer and more natural (not overly wide and flat) your cleavage will be! Everybody measures breast base differently, so a specific measurement should not be taken as an absolute, nor should it be used as "proof" that you "require" a certain profile of implant.

Consider another consult or two with ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who have more than a decade of experience and do lots of breast surgery. More information is needed to help you make the best choice (of surgeon, not implants)!

Good luck and best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Are High Profile Implants Right for Me

+2

Hi there-

Based on what you describe, I share your concerns that HP implants will not achieve your goals. You need to discuss this with your surgeon and make your goals very clear.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Which implant?

+1

I believe that your examination can assist you in your selection process. If you have a long torso, particularly from the breast fold (IMF) to the armpit fold(anterior axillary fold);  in select patients a high profile implant may be a consideration.  It is possible to create an unatural appearance with moderate and moderate plus implants by using too large of an implant.  I recommend discussing these options with your surgeon.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Worried about high profile breast implants

+1

Though high profile breast implants are the current 'rage' right now, many of us are worried about them as they were seldom used perhaps five years ago. A more natural implant will have a broader base, fit and blend with the breast and move as one and flow with the breast tissue. The high profile implant projects and stands up on the chest, and starts with a rounder appearance that is more easily felt in the breast. With capsule contracture they are rather ball like. Some like the look, others should have a moderate profile implant.

peterejohnsonmd