Implant Size - Will 300cc Make Me Look too Heavy?

I am 5'8" 120 lbs. I have a 32A size chest and am stuck between the 275 and 300cc moderate plus implant. I'm very weight conscious, and am worried about the implant making me look heavier. I liked the way the 275cc sizers looked when I tried them on, but my doctor suggested that I get the 300cc, because I'll lose volume once the implant is behind the muscle, and he didn't believe that the 275 would fill the gap I have between my breasts right now. Is 300cc going to make me look too heavy?

What is an ounce?

+2

The difference in the implant size that you are considering is less than an ounce. You probable could not see much of a difference between these implants. More important would be the bass width diameter and the flaccidity and thickness of the skin. If the space is filled up it will look better. If the extra skin is stretched it will look better.

Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Choosing Implant Size: 25cc Difference No Different

+2

When choosing an implant size to fit your body and your breast, as well as fitting what you want in size is a very daunting task and I would reinforce that a 25cc difference in implant size within the same implant profile would likely be not noticeable. If you are tall and slender you will carry a larger breast implant and the 275cc may be slightly on the small side. You need to trust your plastic surgeon and feel comfortable with the decisions that both of you have made. Don't get hung up an volume because there are so many factors that play into the end result that this small of a difference is lost.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Will impants make you look "heavy"

+2

With your height and weight and the size of the implants, I don't think they will make you look heavy.  If you are more than just weight and body conscious and are weight and body obsessed, you may have some body image issues and you should proceed with any surgey carefully.  I have learned this the hard way.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Appropriate Implant Size

+2

It is always difficult to judge implants size without examining a patient, but based on your height and weight, I would not worry about the 300cc implants.  The taller the patient, the larger the implant that they can handle and still look proportional.  To be honest, in someone who is 5'8, I would worry that the 300cc might be a little small.  I generally tell patients if they like what they see in the sizer, then add 50cc to the final implant to account for underneath the tissues - in your case a 325cc.   I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

300 cc Implant Will provide Moderate Change

+2

Although it is always difficult to comment on exact implant sizes which would be appropriate for patients without an exam and office fitting, I do not think that you will be unhappy with a 300cc implant nor will you find that it makes you look too heavy.  With your height (5'8") and current bra size (32A), this probably is not an implant that you will feel is too large post-op.

John Whitt, MD

Will implants make me look heavy?

+1
Dear MKC,
I think what you are asking is will you look heavier or overall larger with large implants.
I think this depends on what you are wearing. If you have very large implants and wear something that is not fitted at the waist, then the larger breast will make you look larger in general. However, if you are wearing a bikini or a fitted shirt that shows off your waist line, then no, it will actually look like your waistline is smaller since your chest/hip ratio is larger.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Size of implants best determined at time of visit

+1

It is difficult to say what is the best implant size for a particular patient.  If really depends alot on height, weight, and body build of the individual.  It also depends on the original size of the breasts before surgery and what the patient hopes to achieve.  Generally 300 cc size is a good one for the average size person.  But only a physical examination at the time of your initial office visit can determine the best implant size.

James Tang, MD

25cc is too little to make much difference.

+1

The truth is, 25cc of volume is so minor that you would be unlikely to tell any difference. As for 300cc with your body frame, they are unlikely to make you look "heavy." However, if you are truly a 32A, you may need a higher profile implant which has a narrower base than the moderate plus.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the correct implant size

+1

trying sizers in the office can put you in a range that may be appropriate for you but will not be able to delineate a difference of 25 cc. There are some important measurements that your physician likely took that better guide us to what would be the ideal implant for your body frame and breast shape.

Jeffrey Kenkel, MD