I'm Worried About Gaining Weight After my Breast Reduction Surgery?

I'm very athletic, I work out everyday for atleast an hour. I really trying to look good for this summer and I'm scared my recovery time is going to make me lose my progress. Will I be fine with just doing lower body for the time being?

Recovery after Breast Reduction

+1

In general most patients can get back to light workouts within 3 weeks (or sooner) after breast reduction surgery and I encourage you to discuss your specific case with your surgeon. As far as loosing conditioning, as a young, active person, you shouldn't loose much and will be back to your normal workouts in a short period of time. In fact, most women find it easier to exercise after breast reduction surgery than before.

Good luck

Working out after Breast Reduction

+1

As a bodybuilder, I understand the need to go to gym.  However, your incisions must be healed before doing any strenuous activity.  I would recommend walking as soon as your plastic surgeon says it is OK until such time as you are cleared for strenuous activity.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Weight Gain after Breast Reduction?

+1

Thank you for the question. Although I cannot provide you with precise advice, generally speaking I do not think that patients have much to worry about weight gain after breast reduction surgery. Your plastic surgeon will guide you in regards to return to physical activity; you may be surprised how early you are able to begin lower body exercises.

For example, in my practice, patients are able to get on a stationary bike and/or ambulate  significant distances within 2 weeks after having had the procedure performed.

Again, your plastic surgeon will be your resource when it comes to returning to exercise,  but I think that you should have peace of mind in regards to the weight gain issue.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Exercise after breast reduction.

+1

During your recovery time you will be sore.  Generally I don't restrict patients from exercise after breast reduction more than just a few days.  After that I let pain guide the patients exercise limits.  Most are able to walk for exercise within a week.  Intense exercise will likely take several weeks before it is comfortable.

Jeffrey Thaxton, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Workouts and breast reduction

+1

I usually have patients hold off aerobic activities for 3-4 weeks and then exertional activity for 6-8 wks.

Weight Gain After Breast Reduction

+1

You should not be overly concerned about gaining weight during your recovery period following your breast reduction.  Although you won't be about to do the vigorous work-outs for a bit, you can invest additional time to walk, etc.

John Whitt, MD