Could I get a droopy eye?

I had Botox on 3/25 in my forehead by a new doctor. My frown lines are totally frozen today 3/28 and I have a heaviness in one eye. Will this heaviness turn into a droopy eye? When am I in the clear for a droopy eye? The doctor broke a blood vessel in my forehead and I have a large bruise/knot so I am scared something else is going to go wrong. I also used a higher dose and the results seem faster than before.

Botox and Frown Lines

+1
Botox is great for smoothing out frown lines.  If the doctor used a higher dosage then it is normal that you seem "more frozen" than before.  It takes two weeks to see the full effects from Botox but generally within a few days you will know if you develop a "droop".  The heaviness that you are describing sounds like you may have had too much Botox or Botox injected too low.  Please let me know what happens. 

Droopy eyelid after botox?

+1
Thank you for your question. Botox will have full effect by 7-10 days. If you do not have a droopy eyelid by then, it would be unusual to get one. Often excess upper lid skin gets confused for a droopy eyelid. If Botox migrates and paralyzes the upper lid lifting muscle, the eyelid sags and covers the pupil a bit. This is the droopy eyelid. If the forehead is paralyzed, the muscle can't lift the brow and upper eyelid skin, this can cause excess baggy skin that can touch the lashes. People become aware of this sensation and think their lid is sagging. It is not truly the lid itself, but the skin above it. The pupil is not blocked by the lid and thus is not truly the droopy upper eyelid. Hope this helps to clarify.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Botox and droopy eye

+1
  • Botox can cause bruising. It subsides.
  • Only time will tell if the upper lid heaviness will lead to a droopy lid.
  • In another 48 hours, if you do not have a droopy lid, you are unlikely to get one.
  • Injections of Botox should be at least a half inch above the brow. to reduce this risk.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Droopy eye from Botox

+1
Although a droopy lid can occur from Botox, most often what happens is a few weeks of a heavy brow that can make the eyelid feel droopy. Effects of Botox start to show in 3-5 days and hit full effect in 7-10. A heavy brow will resolve itself quickly without the need for intervention. A droopy lid may require a special eye drop for a few weeks. The bruise/knot can happen to the most experienced injectors and doesn't pose any long term issue. Next time remind the doc that your brow felt heavy so he can inject a little higher and with less Botox to prevent this from occurring. 

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist