I Am Worried That I Have Bad Ptosis [Sag], Will a Breast Augmentation Correct Some of This? (photo)

I am 24yo mother of three. I am worried that if I have a breast augmentation that I will end up with 'snoopy-boob' - which is not the look I am after. I want 400cc round silicone gel moderate plus maybe high-profile implants. Is there a certain type of placement that will reduce the risk of the dreaded 'snoopy-boob' ?

Subglandular Breast Augmentation Best for Sagging Breast

+4

I do believe that Augmentation Mammaplasty is possible for you without a Breast Lift or Mastopexy.

However, because you do have some Glandular Ptosis, I would do a Subglandular Augmentation Mammaplasty. A Submuscular placement would risk a Snoopy Deformity.

Read my link below on Mammary Ptosis for more explanation.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/breast-lift/sagging-breasts-how-to-lift-and-firm-your-breast-after-pregnancy/

Breast Augmentation effect on Ptosis

+2

I would recommend moderate profile periareolar approach and consider a dual plane placement.  That would help with avoiding "snoopy boob"

Best wishes!

Breast Implant plus lift

+2

Breast Implants add volume. But, they do not lift the breasts.

Augmentation mastopexy is designed to correct the two most common changes that occur in breast appearance following pregnancy: loss of breast volume, and stretching out of breast skin. While there are some moms who can get an acceptable cosmetic result from augmentation alone or from mastopexy alone, many moms have a combination of breast volume loss and skin excess that requires simultaneous augmentation and mastopexy (breast lift). I frequently perform this surgery in concert with an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and this combined breast and tummy rejuvenation surgery is sometimes referred to as a 'mommy makeover'.

Augmentation mastopexy is also commonly performed for major weight loss patients, including those who have had bariatric surgery including gastric banding and gastric bypass. Obesity followed by major weight loss usually produces breast changes that are very similar to those seen after successive pregnancies, and often the effect on breast skin is quite severe. Additionally, as a North Carolina breast implants surgeon, I regularly see patients with significant breast ptosis (the medical term for 'droopiness', pronounced TOE-sis) in young adulthood, without any history of pregnancy or major weight loss. Some breasts are just naturally droopy, and I have performed mastopexy and augmentation mastopexy for patients as young as 21 years.

This surgery is a potentially challenging one which requires thoughtful preoperative evaluation and planning, and careful attention to detail in the operating room. Many surgeons have traditionally performed breast augmentation and mastopexy surgery in stages, usually mastopexy first followed by augmentation at a later date. In the recent past more and more surgeons have adopted a non-staged, single surgery approach to augmentation and mastopexy, and that is what I propose for the vast majority of patients who I see in consultation that need both procedures. I believe that the results of simultaneous augmentation mastopexy are as good or better than a staged approach in most cases, and of course patients quite naturally prefer a single trip to the operating room if at all possible.

Some patients I see in consultation are primarily interested in a breast lift procedure. For those with a significant amount of existing breast tissue, a breast lift alone may produce an aesthetically ideal breast appearance. However, it can difficult to achieve significant fullness in the upper poles of the breasts (the upper aspect of the breasts, above the nipple-areola area) in many patients by means of a breast lift alone. I ask patients who are considering a breast lift procedure how important it is for them to have the appearance of some fullness in the upper part of the breasts, and to thereby achieve a significantly more youthful breast profile. For patients who confirm that this appearance is important to them, and who do not have enough natural upper pole breast tissue to achieve this appearance with a mastopexy alone, I recommend an augmentation mastopexy.

Other patients are primarily interested in increasing their breast volume, but have enough breast ptosis to make the appearance of breast augmentation alone odd and unappealing. Placing implants behind breasts with significant ptosis creates the appearance of breasts hanging off of a pair of implants, which looks distinctly unnatural and aesthetically unappealing. These patients are also best served by augmentation mastopexy, which in addition to increasing breast volume restores the position of the nipple-areola complex to the top of the breast mound, tightens the lower pole and lifts the breast.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/breastlift_implants.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Ptosis Repair

+1

An in-person consultation is always suggested for accurate advice however, it appears you may have minor ptosis.  Any placement should give you a nice, normal looking breast.  I would place them sub-pectoral with either a midrange or high profile implant depending upon the desired look for your breasts.  You do have the option of having them placed subglandular although with time the weight of the breast may thin out the skin and make your breasts appear more saggy.  Remember, that your muscle is your natural bra support and having them placed under the muscle may be the best option.

I hope this helps. Dr. Grasseschi

Web reference: http://ritaccacosmeticsurgery.com

Breast Augmentation without a Breast Lift - Is it right for you?

+1

In your photographs, it appears that you have slight ptosis of the breast.  Whether you need a lift or not depends on your expectations.  I think that you would have a very natural and attractive result with an augmentation alone.  I would recommend a dual-plane technique to offer you the advantages of both submuscular coverage of the implant and a natural result.  Discuss your expectations carefully with your plastic surgeon, and you can expect a very nice result.

Snoopy boob caused by untreatd breast sagging, not submuscular implant placement.

+1

Proponents of implant placement above the muscle sometimes claim that this reduces the risk of the snoopy boob.  This claim has never been proven.  The reason some women end up with a snoopy boob is because they had breast sagging that was not treated at the time of their breast augmentation.  You have very little if any breast sagging, so I would not expect a problem with a snoopy boob.  Your implants can be placed either above or below the muscle.  You should get a great result either way.  Personally I prefer submuscular placement. You can view some patients treated this way on my website.  I attached a link.

Web reference: http://www.swansoncenter.com/content/ideal-breast/procedures/breast-augmentation/patient-photographs.asp

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

I Am Worried That I Have Bad Ptosis [Sag], Will a Breast Augmentation Correct Some of This?

+1

Breast Augmentation will help with the shape of your breasts, and will restore lost volume.  Breast Augmentation will not correct breast ptosis.  You could have an augmentation without a lift, but in my opinion, you would not get the best results.  It all depends on what your goals are, and what results you are trying to achieve.  I would recommend an in person evaluation so you can discuss this during a consultation.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

In plastic surgery, as in many areas of life, it is important to remember that less is often better than more.

I believe that if a pleasing result can be achieved with few scars, then this is a better alternative to chasing a different result that involves more scarring, complications, revisions and expense.

In your case you would do well with an implant alone. While this will not significantly change your breast shape, it will produce some lift. Moreover, most patients are delighted with their new fullness and are happy to do a lift with a nice bra.

While a breast lift can produce more shape change, keep in mind that you would then be taking on much more scarring and expense.

All the best.

Web reference: http://www.vancouvercosmeticsurgery.ca/results-gallery/breast-augmentation/areolar-incision/

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation for Sagging Breasts

+1

Dear blissbomb,

Sagging breasts can be lifted using breast implants alone, a breast lift alone, or breast implants with a lift.

Choosing the best option depends on a number of factors including your overall build, your breast size and shape, the quality of your skin and breast tissues, and your goals and preferences.

As you can see from the responses here, you fall into a grey zone where you have some sagging that may be treated with breast implants alone, a breast lift alone, or breast implants with a lift. Each option has potential advantages and disadvantages. It is difficult to impossible to give you more guidance without a detailed examination and discussion.

Please see an experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals and concerns.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Web reference: http://www.77plasticsurgery.com

Correcting breast ptosis with an implant

+1

I think that in all things, and especially in plastic surgery, the best results are obtained when a problem has been accurately identified and the solution fits the problem. You have two problems with your breasts that really requires two solutions. 1. Lack the volume in the upper pole  2. skin laxity of the lower pole. Trying to fix both of these problems with just an implant will most likely lead to disappointment. Trying to avoid a breast lift with a subglandular or subfascial implant position may be helpful in the short term, but really is not the best solution. I would recommend a vertical breast lift to tighten the skin envelope with a conservative breast implant to add volume.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon