How Worried Should I Be About Anaesthetic for my Rhinoplasty Procedure?

Rhinoplasty is something I have wanted for a long time but I am terrified of the complications of anaesthetic and it's making me wonder if I am doing the right thing. How can I stop this fear? I'm convinced I will not wake up.

Risks of Rhinoplasty

+1

When in the hands of a skilled board certified surgeon and anesthesiologist you will have an excellent chance of a safe surgical procedure without complications.  Significant complications related to the anesthesia or surgical procedure would very unlikely.  Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
LeBeau Clinic

Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia and rhinoplasty

+1

With the care of a board certified anesthesiologist and an experienced surgeon performing your procedure, you should have nothing to worry about. Complications like you describe are extremely rare. I would recommend doing your homework and choosing a board certified surgeon with great credentials. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Anesthesia

+1

Patient safety is the most important thing in elective surgery.  Please discuss this with your surgeon so that s/he can discuss the anesthetic options with you and allay your fears.  Depending on the severity of your fears, you may need to seek additional help to overcome the concern before proceeding with any surgical intervention.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can assist you in achieving the results/safety you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Anesthesia and rhinoplasty

+1

Anesthesia is very safe these days, and rhinoplasty can be very painful and is best done when the patient is completely relaxed and under  anesthesia.

Anesthesia for a rhinoplasty procedure

+1

We recommend a light general anesthesia for the rhinoplasty procedure. We have  board certified physician anesthesiologists in attendance during the entire procedure.  We do not recommend rhinoplasty be performed under local anesthesia with sedation  due to patient's conscious awareness of the procedure, and because we do not want blood from the nose going down into the trachea and  lungs. Anesthesia today is  extremely safe when  performed on healthy patients under the direct supervision of a anesthesiologist.

Anesthesia and Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

A very light general anesthetic for rhinoplasty surgery is very safe, but...  There is always some risk even when you have a local anesthetic for dental work. Talk to your surgeon. a psychologist, or psychiatrist about your anxiety. I've had 2 patients like you over the past 35 years; I did not do their surgery until they resolved this psychological concern.

Anesthesia and Rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to perform a rhinoplasty using  local anesthesia,conscious sedation or general anesthesia. You should discuss the various options with your surgeon.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Complications of Anesthetic in Rhinoplasty

+1

Serious anesthesia complications from a rhinoplasty in a young healthy individual are exceedingly rare.  Not waking up or serious complication would happen less than 1:100,000.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Anesthesia for rhinoplasty

+1

Ask your doctor who will be the provider and what exactly they will do.  A physician anesthesiologist who works frequently with the surgeon is what you want.  If you can't get beyond the fear, then don't do the surgery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS