Worried After Asymmetry at 1 Month Post-op?

I am one month post- op breast augmentation. I had small implants 275cc mod+ silicone under the muscle. Left implant appears to be dropping however right one is improving but not catching up. I am massaging as per PS recommendations doubling up on right. I was a AA before implants but breasts were symmetrical. I am athletic and have very low body fat(8 %) and have fairly developed pec muscles-could this be hindering the dropping process?

I month post-op and implant high

+2

It is common that one implant relaxes into the pocket sooner than the other. I would give it 3-4 months before getting too concerned.

Breast implants may mature at different rates.

+2

Implants are commonly manipulated by the muscle in the early postoperative period.  Commonly,  plastic surgeons will use a compression band to the top of the breasts to minimize this.  Make sure you are doing the massages in the manner that your plastic surgeon recommends.  This is important as I catch quite a few patients doing the massages wrong.  I have patients demonstrate the massage technique in front of me so that I may correct any problems.

Best Wishes!

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry at 1 Month

+2

It is common for implants, although they looked even and properly positioned at surgery with the pectoral muscles relaxed, to look too high and uneven for several months. Most often it is the "handed" side that is slower to settle into place, since that is the stronger muscle. 

Usually, expect gradual improvement over the first three months, and stay in contact with your surgeon. Thanks, and best wishes.

Asymmetry

+2

The breasts do not heal or drop at the same rate after surgery. The swelling is asymmetric and resolves at different rates. Allow yourself more time for healing

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Asymmetric Breast Implant Settling After Breast Augmentation??

+2

Asymmetric breast implant “settling” is  quite commonly seen after breast augmentation surgery. Most of the time, breast implants do “settle” although it may take several months ( and occasionally) up to one year to do so. It sounds like your plastic surgeon is advising you appropriately.

Although there is no science behind the statement, I do find that patients with relatively “developed pectoralis major muscles"  may experience relatively slower descent of breast implants after breast augmentation surgery.

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+2

Thanks for your question.  What you are describing is a very typical postoperative course.  One breast will often respond differently in the initial healing period.  You will not see your final results for at least 6 weeks after surgery and often up to 3 months after surgery.  Congratulations on your surgery and keep in good communication with your surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Assymetry

+2

You should be patient, but you should also take note that just about everyone I've seen after breast surgery goes through a similar experience. There's always one side that acts a little different and may drop faster than the other. Talk to your surgeon's office and see if they have any strategies to assist you in your postoperative course. Best Wishes.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast Enhancement

+1
Cant really worry too much at 1 month, everyone goes into surgery asymmetric and sometimes the surgery will accentuate it with the volume. Wait at least 6 months before deciding on a revision 

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Give your implants more time to settle

+1

Give your implants more time to settle. you are early in the healing process.  You will be surprised how much things improve over time.  I would recommend that you wait a bit longer before making any judgments.  In the interim, please relate your concerns to your plastic surgeon.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Implants uneven 1 month post op

+1

This is a very common situation and a very common question.  Implants often "drop" or "settle" differently, so that one is often higher than the other. This often lasts for several weeks to a few months and will usually even out with time. It's great that you're following your board certified PS's suggestions .... keep that up and you'll do great!

I hope that helps and wish you all the best.

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon