Post Tummy Tuck and Garment Pinches My Wound. What Can I Do if I Don't See Results? (photo)

Worried Abt Swelling and It is Necessary to Wear the Garment if It Pinches Ur Wound Please Help my Doc is Too Thru with Me

concerned of swelling which showed up a couple days ago im a week post op the day after surgery it was sorta flat and stayed that way until two days ago it now looks just a litte smaller than it was pre tummy tuck. my bell button is fine i had a hernia as a child so it wasn't this cute frm the start n glad tht stitch wound is gone i have ken doll syndrome pretty bd cnt sleep comfortably the garment pinches my stitches the dr walked out yesterday cuz i wsnt wearn it said dnt b md at the results

Post Tummy Tuck and Garment Pinches My Wound. What Can I Do if I Don't See Results?

+1

Posted photos are fuzzy hard to see. Best to discuss with your operative surgeon or obtain in person second opinions

Swelling after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You'll be best off following up with your plastic surgeon to express your questions and concerns.  Issues regarding the compressive garment can be addressed with him.

Generally speaking, abdominal wall "swelling" after tummy tuck may be related to:

1. Swelling in the soft tissues.  This may take several months to resolve and may worsen with increased activity  or at the end of the day.   Patience  is required to allow for resolution of the swelling. The swelling occurs because of the interruption of venous and lymphatic channels that occurs during the tummy tuck operation.

2. Fluid accumulation in the space between the skin and the abdominal wall muscle.  this may consist of blood ( hematoma)  or serum (seroma).  This fluid accumulation can generally be diagnosed by physical examination ( occasionally ultrasound  may be helpful).  Treatment consists of aspiration;  several episodes of aspiration may be necessary. 

3. Separation of the abdominal wall muscle repair may lead to a swelling/bulge appearance. This may be diagnosed on physical examination  with your surgeon examining you in different bodily positions. One of the steps of a tummy tuck procedure involves reapproximation (plication)  of the rectus muscles.  These muscles have spread apart during pregnancy and/or weight gain. Bringing them together again in the midline helps to “tighten” the abdominal wall as well as to narrow the waistline.

4. Residual adipose tissue may be confused for swelling. Again this is most easily diagnosed by physical examination. Additional liposuction surgery maybe necessary to improve the results of surgery.

Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  a complete skin redraping  to occur.