Can I Workout the Day Before Surgery?

I'm currently personal training and have surgery scheduled for next Wed. My trainer wants to train Monday and Tuesday before I am going to be down for awhile. Is this okay? The workouts are pretty intense and I want to make sure I'm not taking away from my body's ability to heal. Thank you!

Can I Workout the Day Before Surgery?

+1

I wouldn’t overdo anything the day before your surgery.  Certainly you want your body to be in optimal condition, but I would be cautious about day before exhaustion. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Working Out The Day Before A Rhinoplasty.

+1

Yes, you can work out the day before your nasal surgery.  I often recommend to my patients that have a regular workout program to workout as much as they can before the surgery because they will miss one or two weeks of exercise after the surgery.  

Felix Bopp, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Training

+1

As long as you are hydrated you are able to work out before your surgery. I would replenish with Gatorade, at least 64 ounces, the night before, too. Enjoy the last day before your procedure and happy healing!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Workout prior to surgery

+1

I tell my patients to get a good workout the day before surgery

after all it's going to be a little while before they can workout again

there is also some suggestion among drs that this might decrease the risk of dvt

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Workouts before surgery

+1

Workouts are fine before surgery; however, you do not want to do fatigue workouts or workout intensely in the area you are having surgery on so that is it sore before surgery.

You want to be well rested, hydrated and comfortable. Showing up tired, dehydrated and sore, will not help the experience. Tiredness decreases your body's endorphins (pain killers), dehydration leads to more post-operative nausea and in the worse case low blood pressure problems, and preoperative muscle pain means more post operative muscle pain.

The best thing to do is to ask you surgeon. Unlike me, they know what surgery you are having, and can ask more specific questions about your workout. Good luck.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon