Will Working out 3 or 4 Times a Week Wear out a Silicone Breast Implant Shell Faster Than Normal?

I want to get saline implants placed under the chest muscle but I'm concerned about the chest muscles rubbing and squeezing the implant shell when I work out. I work out 3 or 4 times a week, but I dont work the chest muscles every time. Would the silicone shell of my implants wear out faster than normal due to working out 3 or 4 times a week? How long do you think they would last?

Saline implants and exercise,

+2

I am not aware of any studies that have been done to see if increased activity increases the risk of implant longevity. That said, there is a small, increased risk of failure of textured over smooth implants and saline over silicone implants. In my experience, saline implants are firmer than silicone implants and because of this, they move around in the pocket more and risk pocket displacement than silicone implants. I am not a fan at all of saline implants above the muscle though, unless they are small and not overfilled. They will thin out the breast tissue over time and risk visible rippling and a upper pole shelf. Consider silicone implants if you are active. They are soft and more natural and have less risk of moving out of the pocket. Also support your breasts after your surgery with a bra for at least 3 to 6 months if not indefinitely to help prevent implant movement. Limit chest exercises for 3 to 6 months to allow for good healing around the implant to help limit the risk of implant migration. I recommend that you wear a bra to bed when you have implants.  Keep exercising; good for you!

No

+2

There is zero good evidence that heavy exercise will cause your implant to rupture more quickly.  The upside of exercise is much more beneficial than the small risk of increased wear and tear on the implant.  Implants belong under the muscle for most people, so talk to your surgeon who can better review your risks and goals.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Wear and tear on implants

+2

No. Motion will not cause implants to leak or wear out. Once you have healed, you should be able to do any exercise you want, and forget about your implants.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Does working out cause the breast implant shell to deteriorate?

+2

The implant shell will not deteriorate more as a result of working out so stay in shape but don't do anything extreme that could injure the muscles.  Implants have a variable life expectancy with the newest ones likely to last for up to 20 years.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Wear out a Silicone Breast Implant Shell

+2

There is no evidence I am aware of that would make me worry about that. However I do see patients with implants under the muscle that displace them off to the side with too much heavy pectoralis activity.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Working out with implants

+1

Hello. At the moment there is no literature to confirm the effect of working out on implants. That being said I encourage my patients to work out and eat healthy. The benefits are far greater than the risks and as stated before there has been no study done to discourage patients with implants from working out.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Implant Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Breast implants and working out

+1

I am not aware of any published studies regarding the impact of physical activities on the longevity of breast implants and wether frequent compression of implants squeesded under chest musles being harmful to the integrity of their shells. In my experience breast implants, saline or silicone maintained their integrities after vigorous exercise for many years. I think you can proceed with your breast surgery and do not make any changes in your exercise programs , only restart 2 months after your surgery. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Arm Use and Breast Implants

+1

There is no direct evidence to answer your question about the risk of breast implant rupture with working out with use of the arms. However, there is some prety good indirect evidence that says that an implant placed under the muscle is more likely to rupture than one placed above the muscle. This is thought due to frequent stress on the folds that occur in the shell over time. I, therefore, do not place implants under the muscle in anyone who uses their arms significantly, and expecially not in anyone who works out using the arms even less frequently than you.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Working Out And Implant Rupture

+1

I have had that same question asked in different ways.  For example, someone who runs 3 to 4 times a week. 

The only way to truly know if there is an association between working out and implant wear would be a well controlled prospective study.  To date there are none.  However, I think most surgeons would agree that working out will not wear your implants out faster than normal. 

Keep working out!

Brian Joseph MD FACS

Brian Joseph, MD

+1

I know of no one who has done a study, which would be the only way to answer this question with anything but a guess. My guess would be no. Working out a few times a week for an hour or so probably causes less wear on the implants, than, say sleeping on your stomach regularly.

These are quite durable, though not infinitely so. 

Good question, but only guesses for answers. All the best.