After Breast Implants are You Never Again Suppose to Work Out Your Chest Muscles?

Hello. I am a huge fitness buff and love lifting weights. I Went for my consultation today. My doctor told me I could NEVER AGAIN lift weights that work out my chest muscles. Is this true? I knew that fly-away(s) were a no no. I am ok with no push-ups (I hate them), but bench presses too?? I only ask this questions because I have a friend I work out with (who has implants) and she does bench presses with me (we press a max of 12 pounds using free weights). Should she not be doing this?

Chest muscles post breast augmentation

+3

After a breast augmentation you should be able to resume your normal activities around 6 weeks post-op.  You will have to consult with your surgeon and have an open line of communication about what you specifically want to do around the 6 week point to make certain your body has completely healed to the point of doing your workout, but other than that you will definitely be back to your usual regimen.  Good luck!

Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Working out after Breast Implants...

+3

There is no real contraindication to working out after breast augmentation.  The main rule of thumb is do not do anything that hurts.  Usually, I would advise to gradually work your way into your regular routine starting 6 weeks post surgery.  The contraction of the chest muscles can move the implant while you work out, which may look a little odd, but if you are well healed, then no damage should be done.  Be sure to discuss your feelings openly which your plastic surgeon to make sure you guys are on the same page.

Shain A. Cuber, MD

Can do weight training following a breast enlargement

+3

I, like most plastic surgeons as evidenced by the previous answers here, do not forbid my patients from doing weight training and pectoralis muscle exercising. There will be a restriction initially following surgery for around 8 weeks (which can vary among physicians). Realize that there will be what is called an animation deformity of the breasts when the implants are placed behind the muscle where the breasts do move which is directly related to the underlying pectoralis muscle contracting on the implants (for those placed behind the muscle).

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Working out chest muscles after breast implants

+3

You can work out and lift weights after submuscular breast augmentation, and many of our patients do. After implants there are no physical restrictions. Implants under the muscle can shift and deform as the muscle is flexed though and be a problem for some. If you are not thin and have good breast tissue to cover, you can consider a lower profile subglandular implant (silicone) as an alternative if lifting is very important to you.

peterejohnsonmd

Weight Training After Breast Augmentation

+3

Every plastic surgeon is entitled to his or her opinion, but I do not agree that you can never weight train your chest muscles again. Also, I do not think that this belief is a standard recommendation from all plastic surgeons. I would still recommend placing the implants under the muscle.You will have to take some time off, probably about 4 weeks, from weight training, and then start slow and listen to your body. If something hurts, stop doing it. You will eventually be able to train as you did before although the pectoralis muscles will not feel as strong, especially in the beginning. The only difference is that the implants will not look as natural during the muscle contraction but otherwise they will look fine. If you look at women's body building magazines, most of them have breast implants and it doesn't seem to be slowing them down.

Joseph Fata, MD

Working out your chest after Breast Augmentation

+2

Thank you for your question.  I advise my patient to not work out the chest area until things have healed.  Once you are healed, I don't see a problem with doing chest exercises.  Please make sure that the surgeon that you consult with is a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with breast surgery.   I hope this helps.

Exercise after breast augmentation

+2

I have no restrictions after 6 weeks post breast augmentation.  I recommend you gradually work up to your normal weight routine and push ups. 

Scott W. Harris, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and working out

+2

Eevn after subumuscular breast augmentation there is no contraindication to work out using Pecs, Lats and other chest muscles. In fact using those muscles after the initial recovery of a month or so is good to prevent capsular contracture. 

Raj Chowdary, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast implants

+2

After a typical recovery of a few weeks, you can being your normal exercise routine after breast implants.

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD

Many different opinions

+2

I am using silicone implants and put most of them over the muscle. I allow my patients to exercise all muscles, even their pecs within a few weeks after the surgery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD