Working out Before B.A.?

I workout almost every day of the week. One of those days I specifically work out my chest muscles (bench press, push-ups, etc). My B.A. is scheduled for 6 weeks from now. Should I continue working out like normal right up to that date, or is there any benefit to not working out my chest muscles from now till the surgery? (I'm not a body builder, just fit)

Exercise Before Breast Augmentation

+2

Hi Jeotte,

There is no reason to alter your usual work-out routine before breast augmentation. Whether the implants or placed above or below the muscle, there would be no benefit to not working out the chest muscles.

Your PS will suggest the best time to resume exercising in the post-operative period to avoid complications such as hematoma.

Thanks for your question and best of luck!

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Working out and breast augmentation

+2

Most surgeons would tell you to maintain your healthy lifestyle right up to the time of surgery, me included.  A couple things to think about, though...

Do you plan to have the implants placed below the muscle?  What do you wear when you're working out?  When implants are placed beneath the muscle, the breasts may become distorted a bit when you're working out.  So, if you wear tight form-fitting clothing when you work out, you might consider wearing something a bit looser after your surgery.  I've never had a patient tell me they experienced problems with this but I also don't want someone to be placed in a potentially embarrassing situation.  Ask your surgeon or your surgeon's staff about that office's opinion about working out before your surgery.  Hopefully you'll have a wonderful experience and get the exact look you're hoping for!

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and Breast Augmentation

+1

There is no harm in working out before your surgery, unless for some reason your doctor asks you not to. However, keep in mind that after your BA you will not be able to work out for about 6 weeks.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Working out before surgery

+1

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  There is no reason to stop your workout routine, though I might take it easy the day or two before your surgery in order to make sure you don't have any coincidental soreness from your workout that might make the discomfort from surgery any worse.  The big issue is afterward- make sure to follow your surgeon's instructions about exercise in the early postoperative period.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Exercise routine and breast augmentation

+1

There is no reason to change your workout routine before surgery. But you will need to take it easy for a period of time afterwards. I tell my patients to avoid bench press and push ups for about 6 weeks after surgery. You will be able to return to lower body exercise and aerobic workouts without using your upper extremities as early as a week after surgery. But you will need to check with your surgeon's guidelines to be certain about what he/she suggests. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Workout before breast surgery is not a problem

+1

The advantages of working out on a regular basis are significantly more than the minimal risk related to soreness in the muscle from excessive workout before breast surgery. Only if you perform an excessively strenuous workout on your muscle together with putting the implants underneath the muscle would you have any negative effects of exercise before a breast augmentation. Even then, the excessive workout has to be performed less than 24 hours before surgery to have any negative effect. In short, enjoy your workouts and enjoy your breast augmentation results.  

Sherif M. Khattab, MD
Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before BA

+1

Regular excercise prior to the surgery will not make any difference.  You might want to lay off the pecs, though for a few days to reduce post-op soreness.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Chest muscle work out prior to breast augmentation surgery

+1

There should be no problem if you continue your upper body work outs up until the date of your breast augmentation.  After surgery I have my patients refrain from push ups, bench pressing and lifting greater than 15 pounds for the first 6 weeks then it is back to normal activities. 

BA and workout

+1

Before   your  BA  there  is no need  to suspend   your  normal exercise rutine , just   enjoy    your   gym   now  because   after  BA  you hace  to  stop   this   tyope  of  exercise  at least   for   3   month

Cynthia Disla, MD

Working out before a breast augmentation

+1

It should not be a problem to work out up until the time of your surgery.   Good luck with your surgery!