Possible to Replace Gastric Band w/ Gastric Bypass and Liposuction?

I have done a gastic band about 5 years ago and i didnt really get the results i was hoping for so i have decided to take the band out and do gastric bypass and a liposuction for the pubic area... my question is; is that a possible procedure???

Conversion of Lap-Band to gastric bypass

+1

Yes it is possible to remove the Lap-Band and at the same time convert it to a gastric bypass all laparoscopically. We would not recommend liposuction at the same time.  Some patients do better with the gastric bypass than the Lap-Band.

Long Island Bariatric Surgeon

Gastric Bypass AFTER Lap Band

+1

Lap band conversions to gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy are becoming more popular due to the fact that more people have the lap band. The older bands that were placed more than three years ago have a higher failure rate than some of the newer bands. The failure rate for the older lap band was approximately 20-25%. The newer lap bands are better, however they still have a failure rate albeit lower than the older bands. A failure rate for bariatric surgery is losing less than 25% of the excess weight you need to lose.

Converting the lap band to a gastric bypass laparoscopically can be done however it does have a higher risk than just doing a primary gastric bypass. The risks are increased due to the fact that there is scar tissue from the band in the area where we make the pouch and connection for the gastric bypass. I have converted many lap band patients to bypass or sleeve gastrectomies and these patients have significantly better weight loss results.

My advice is to find a bariatric surgeon who is proficient in these procedures. I would also advise that you hold off on the liposuction until you have lost a significant amount of weight with the bypass.  At that time, if you need any plastic surgery, consult a plastic surgeon.

David Buchin, MD
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon