What Work Would You Recommend for my Nose ?

I've posted a front and a side view picture of my nose. Could you tell what changes and procedures need to be done to improve the appearance of my nose and the possible expectations? Thank you.

Complete rhinoplasty for nasal shaping

+3

It is not hard to imagine what improvements are appropriate for your nose, and computer imaging can help you visualize the potential. Most would suggest a complete rhinoplasty which would remove the hump and steps to narrow the nose. Finally, the round tip can be thinned and refined. I think the changes would be sure to please you.

peterejohnsonmd

Specific nasal aesthetic concerns on your part, means deliverable goals on your surgeons part.

+2

The changes that can be made need to fit with what you would like and your expectations.  An important question I ask of all my rhinoplasty patients is: "what would you like to see changed?".  

Simply because a change can be made, does not necessarily mean it should be.  That is why it's important to have a consultation where you can meet with your doctor, discuss what aspect of your nose you'd like to change, and then you and your surgeon can discuss what can realistically be achieved.  

Your nose has a few features that could be changed to fit with "traditional aesthetic proportions".  It is important however that your cultural background be considered in these changes as "traditional aesthetic proportions" do not apply to everyone.  Additionally, its challenging to analyze a nose without reference to your whole face as it's important to balance your nose with your other facial features.  Based on your photos, a few features that stand out include your small dorsal hump, the width of your nasal tip, and minor columellar retraction.  Your nose could also benefit from slight rotation and deprojection but this would have to fit with your height and desires (shorter people can tolerate greater nasal rotation).  

Although this descriptive term is awful, your nasal tip appears to have a "parenthesis deformity" - which means your lower lateral cartilages are rotated cephalically (upwards).  Of course I'd have to examine you to determine if this is truly the case, but if so, your nasal tip presents a challenge - as traditional maneuvers to refine a nasal tip could result in post-operative inward collapse of your nostrils leading to nasal obstruction.  Your tip can be modified, but the stated issue must be taken into consideration.  

I would encourage you to consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area.  You can discuss the components of your nose that you'd like to see changed, they can thoroughly examine your nose, and give you a realistic impression of what can be achieved.  

Michael G. Brandt, MD (retired)
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Expectations of Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

The hump would be removed to achieve a straight profile. Your tip should be reduced and refined. With your slightly thick skin, a small cartilage graft should be considered. Another small cartilage graft at the margin of the nostrils may be necessary to prevent retraction of the nostril margin secondary to the orientation of your tip cartilages. This will all be discussed during consultation after examination of your nose.

Fix my nose

+1

An online photo will never be as good as a face-to-face evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon, particularly when you are requesting information about a rhinoplasty. It is very important for the surgeon to determine the goals of the patient as well as their expected outcomes, to make sure their expectations are realistic. 

If I had a patient with this nose, and they wanted it to look better, and left the rest up to me, I would start with:

• Removing the dorsal hump (bump on the bridge of the nose)
  • Making the tip less bulbous (improving definition of the tip, less round with a more defined point)

I don't think I would perform osteotomies as the width of the nose is good. There may be a need for "spreader grafts" to prevent and "open roof deformity" when removing the bump of the nose. (for your google search curiosities later)

Be careful with computer imaging. Photoshopping an image has the potential to create a nose that may not be able to be recreated in nature, due to restrictions of underlying bone and cartilage beneath the skin. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may improve the appearance of your nose.

+1

I read your question and reviewed your photos. Your tip is wide on your front view, and you have a profile-bump. You may consider Rhinoplasty Surgery to remove your profile-bump and narrow your tip. You should consult several reputable rhinoplasty specialists to see what would be best for you.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal improvements

+1

It is always best for the prospective patient( YOU)  to at least state what is bothering you.  Certainly improvment can be made to your nose, it is just a matter of what your expectationa and goals are.

What you need in rhinoplasty

+1

While some doctors routinely tell patients what they need from the start, it has been my habit to try and found out what the patient would like to see and if I could deliver it. That's where I find computer imaging the most helpful. There are times when after imaging when I presented  what i thought the patient wanted or needed and it was totally rejected. I can't give you what you want unless we are on the same page. From a "standard" point of view you would need profile smoothing and tip refinement and repositioning. How much of each requires your input. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

What would you do to my nose with a Rhinoplasty

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and IMHO, Rhinoplasty would be used to make the nose thinner along the bridge, reduce the dorsal hump and make the tip smaller and more refined. 

Recommended work for rhinoplasty.

+1

Hi,

I've seen this nose in another question. Best thing is to send your pictures and I can computer image them for you.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

What to do for my nose

+1

You need recontouring of the dorsum that inturn requires medial and lateral osteotomies. To kep things in proportion, tip refinement would also be desirable.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD