Advisable to Work out Before Considering Tummy Tuck?

I have slowly been doing excercises and do not mind working out to lose the post-pregancy bulge before deciding that I need to have some kind of surgical help; is that alright? What happens to my C-section scars? I was 93 lbs before having two babies, each weighing over 8 lbs. I'm only 27 and weigh 127 lbs, and I'm not sure if I'm worrying prematurely since I haven't seen the end result of my own efforts, do you agree? I feel the skin was stretched so much even if flattened, the thin, saggy skin will increase, am I right?

Working out before abdominoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question -

Patients get maximum cosmetic benefit from abdominoplasty when they are at their ideal bodyweight.

Looking at your picture, you will most likely need an abdominoplasty to remove the excess skin. Stretch marks represent tears in the dermis and that skin will not retract even if you decrease the amount of abdominal fat contributing to the contour.

Surgery is the only effective way at removing this excess skin unfortunately. Find a board certified plastic surgeon near you to discuss this with in more detail.

Keep up the good work and congratulations on the family.

You need a tummy tuck!

+1

I can see that on your photo, you have a lot of stretch marks on the front of your belly. Stretch marks are skin than has been literally ripped - unable to snap back. Even if you are able to get down to a pre-pregnancy weight, you will still have skin excess. Because your stretch marks extend above your belly button, you will still have some after surgery, but they will be low in your bikini line. Additionally, your abdominal muscles can be tightened. It is always in your best interest to keep fit and thin (not too thin), but even with that, I'm afraid you'll still need surgery. Your c-section scar will be removed/replaced at the same time. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon