Should I have work done to my breasts? (photo)

I'm a 23 yo 5'4 145 lbs 34G breasts. I've always liked having large breasts but since I lost weight they've gotten more saggy. I love the fullness & perkiness of fake breasts, but idk if just a lift or augmentation will acheive the look I want. Also, I haven't had children yet & plan to when I'm older - will that affect any surgeries? Lastly, I've shown my bf before & after pictures & he hates the scars that lifts leave. Any advice? Thanks

What to do about your breasts?

+2
All great questions and your concerns are not uncommon. You've recognized the unfortunate reality that the beauty of large breasts at a young age does wane with time as breast naturally begin to fall and sag. The larger your bust size, the younger the age that the look of saggy breasts develop.

The answer to you query as to which surgery is the correct one for you can be found by answering the following: When you're wearing a bra, are you happy with the size of your breasts and the appearance of your silhouette? Do you wish your breasts were larger? If you're pleased with your breasts when they are supported by a bra, then your an excellent candidate for a breast lift (aka....mastopexy). If you'd like to have somewhat larger breasts, then an augmentation and a lift would be the right choice for you (aka....augmentation-mastopexy).

You're correct in noting that augmented breasts do not look the same as natural breasts. Implants provide distinct upper-breast fullness that cannot be achieved in any other fashion....not even a natural breast that has been lifted can appear this way.

You're also correct in that any breast surgery will leave scars, however, some surgeons like myself perform "verticle-scar mastopexy" which minimizes incisions and scarring, leaving only the so-called "lollipop scar". These scars are extremely well camouflaged and largely imperceptible after the scars mature.

In regards to pregnancy post-operatively, there is no adverse effect from an implant or a lift other than the potential for slightly decreased breast milk production (any surgery of the breast that cuts breast tissue will leave scarring in the breasts that can render those areas of the breast less effective at milk production). This doesn't mean that you are unable to breast feed.

A few more pieces of advice worth noting:

Choose your surgeon wisely! Locate a Plastic Surgeon, Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and schedule a consultation. Bring photos with you that show breasts that you find most attractive (I always ask my breast consultation patients to do this). This will help you clearly communicate to your surgeon exactly what aesthetic goal you're trying to achieve. He or she can then discuss realistic options to help you obtain that goal.

Remember....you're decisions about your body are ultimately up to you and you alone. The decision to seek plastic surgery is entirely about you.....the happiness and self-confidence that you feel with your body and it's image. We all want the support and acceptance of our friends and significant others, but ultimately your the one who lives in your skin. Do what's right for you. Your boyfriend may come to understand that if you're happy with the way you look, that pays dividends all around. I'd also argue that the result of a well performed breast surgery is far more attractive than the pre-operative appearance every time.

Newburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Surgery Is Something You Should Decide

+1
If you are unsure of whether to have breast surgery, then you should wait until you are absolutely sure.

However, if you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts and want to do something about it, you may want to consider a breast lift to address the sagging that has resulted from weight loss. However, any breast surgery will be affected by subsequent pregnancy. You may want to consider waiting until after you have children to pursue any breast surgery. 

The surgery should be a decision you make. Your boyfriend's opinion is important, but it is your body and you should make the decision to undergo surgery for yourself.

While scarring is inevitable, with proper care they usually become thin, silvery lines that are barely noticeable. Products are available to help minimize their appearance as well. Certain types of breast implants are available that provide a bit of a lift, which means you may not have to undergo a breast lift.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

+1
You definitely can use a lift with a small reduction.  The reason why you need a reduction is because even if you lost a cup size or two from a 34G, you probably still are at DDD or DD.  That speaks for heavy breasts, and the heaviness will cause your breasts to sag again if you get a lift alone.  Getting an augmentation with this size breasts?  The most ridiculous thing you can think of!  What would be the purpose?  At any rate, if your boyfriend "hates" the scars from a reduction/lift, don't even think about it and just live with what you have, because no surgeon can predict how you will heal and what your scars will look like. 

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Breast lift scars

+1
If you feel that your breasts have become too saggy, your options are two:  you can have a lift/reduction or you can have a breast lift combined with an augmentation.  In both cases, you would have to accept the scars that come with breast lift surgery.  The scars do  fade over time , but they are permanent.  That is a trade off that you must be comfortable with before the surgery.  As you know, most women experience some increase in breast size with pregnancy,  if that happens in your case, it is likely that your need for a lift procedure will be even greater then.  It might make the decision a little easier if you knew that at some point, sooner or later a  lift will be necessary.  If you accept that reasoning,  you could justify doing the lift procedure now and enjoying the results sooner.
Good luck,
Dr. Hargrave

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
If you want improved shape and contour I would suggest a classic anchor pattern breast lift, the scars are the tradeoff for the shape

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

Only you can decide if the scar tradeoffs in breastlift surgery are for you

+1
the only way to get to the look you say you like is with a mastopexy.....which requires trading some scars for eliminating the sagginess. implants alone would not be a good idea at all and would result in a bigger and saggier appearance. you may decide that the best decision for you is to do nothing at all....but you are the only one who should decide which way to go.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Ultimate Breast Lift(TM)

+1
You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Ultimate Breast LiftTM. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incision, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. The breasts are reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Implants are not necessary if you are a size G.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Should I have work done to my breasts?

+1
The implants alone will not give the lift. 

For the lift, I typically start with the smallest incision and custom tailor each breast lift to the shortest scar possible.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast lifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Breast

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I think that your breast will look much better if an anchor breast lift and areola reduction is made. I don't believe you'll need implants because it seems that you have enough breast tissue to work with.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon