Could This Work if I Had a Filler 5 Years Ago Which is Still Present, and Uneven?

Hi I had restalyne 5 years ago and it has still not reduced and also it is uneven I think its wirse than when I got it done. could the hyalurondaise work to get rid of at least some of it?

Hyaluronidase to dissolve filler

+1

Restylane can become encapsulated and last for years.  It can also stimulate production of your own collagen.  Consult an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon to see if hyaluronidase would help dissolve the Restylane or if adding more filler would even everything out.

Toronto Dermatologist

Restylane after 5 years.

+1

I have actually seen Restylane last for several years.  however, it depends in the areas where it was injected to.  For example, around the eyes tends to last longer because there is very little movement in the area as opposed to the lips.  i would have a board certified physician evaluate the area and see if anything can be done.  You may need additional filler to even out the area.  Don't forget, despite having filler, we continue to age and our skin ages in 5 years.  This  progression of aging is what you might be seeing.

Monica Halem, MD

Filler after 5 years

+1

It is highly unlikely that you stil have filler in palce after 5 years. Without an exam, I can not relaly tell you what is going on. It may be a granuloma or scar tissue.

Can Restylane last 5 years

+1

I have often been quite surprised to see how long Restylane can last for some patients and five years is not unreasonable. The link below shows pictures of my wife's lips before Restylane injections, one year, and four years later without touch ups and you can see the results are still quite impressive. Also, the video link below shows me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane for a TV news show!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane lasting 5 years??

+1

I share Dr. Ruecki's skepticism that Restylane would still be present five years after injection. Though rare this could possibly be a granuloma. Hyalruonic acid fillers have been known to elicit a granuloma, some time after injection. Another possibility, as Dr. Ruecki states, is that something else besides Restylane was injected; silicone for instance. That is why it is important, in this day of Chinese knock-offs, that patients request an examination of the box from which the syringe was withdrawn. In the case of Restylane there is a shiny sticker on one end. The third possibility is that the lump due to a ruptured cyst, lipoma or other benign tumor. This may or may not have been induced by the injection process.

My suggestion would be for your dermatologist ( or plastic surgeon), perform a 2 mm. punch biopsy of the lump. The pathologist should then guide the ensuing treatment. If a granuloma, a well placed steroid injection. If a ruptured cyst: excision or steroid injection. Lipoma: excision. If it is silicone: removal. 

Good luck.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Yes, even 5 years after a service, this could be HA filler.

+1

Sure, we tell patients that Restylane last less than a year.  Generally this is accurate, at some point you will want your treatment result topped off.  However this is not the same thing as all the material disappearing.  I personally believe that this product can persist much longer than advertised.  How long?  Routinely I see patients who I have treated with meaningful results that are lasting well over a year and in some cases two years.  I have successfully treated issues in the face that followed treatment with HA filler, over three years after the original service.  These issues disappeared within seconds of injecting with hyaluronidase enzyme.  I believe that is certainly worth exploring if your issues can be resolved with hyaluronidase.  There is very little down side to trying the enzyme.

Restylane does not last that long

+1

I am concerned that it's been 5 years and you still think you have Restylane in there. The likelihood of this is so, so, so small, especially if you only had one syringe in one treatment. I am worried that perhaps something else was injected; something more permanent like silicone or something else. On the very off chance that you do have any HA filler left in there, hyaluronidase can be injected at any point to get rid of it. But I really, truly doubt that it was HA filler - it's just not possible for HA to last for 5 years.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD