Is there anything i can do to prevent mondors cords prior to getting my breast augmentation?

Mondors Cord Prevention

+2

The formation of a Mondors Cord may occur with or without breast augmentation. It is a blood clot or thromboses that occurs in a superficial breast vein or lymphatic vessel.  It may feel uncomfortable, but resolves on its own this warm compresses.  If you are a week or two out from your breast augmentation surgery taking Asprin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications(Motrin, Advil, or othe brand name Ibuprofens) will speed the treatment process.

This is an extremely rare condition and should not steer you away from having your breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question and good luck with your surgery!

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Preventing Mondor's cords with a breast augmentation

+1

Having done breast augmentations for over 10 years, I rarely if ever see Mondor's cords.  If they do occur, massage and Motrin can help to treat them.  Thank you for your question!

Dr. Schreiber

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

BBA

+1

I do not know of any way to prevent it BUT keep in mind that Mondor's is benign and resolves within a few weeks with massage and NSAIDs.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Mondors Cords with Breast Augmentation

+1

Mondors cords are relatively rare after Breast Augmentation. As a matter of fact, I have performed  almost one thousand breast augmentations in over twenty years of practice and have never had a patient experience Mondors Cords. I don't believe there is any way to prophylactically prevent the complication.

Best wishes 

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

?Preventing Mondor's cords

+1
You have probably chosen the one complication that is harmless, and requires little or no treatment, and resolves spontaneously all the time. 

Mondor's disease is thrombophlebitis of the superficial breast veins. The specific cause is not clear, but may be related to the incision and to the compression of the tissues around the breast fold with the new implants in place. I know of no known preventative. It might be that anti-clotting agents like aspirin would decrease the risk, but would amplify the risk of much more serious complications related to bleeding. 

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Preventing contracture bands (Mondor's cords)

+1

Contracture bands in the vicinity of the breast after augmentation is not something you can prevent before surgery. Your body heals in a unique way and you may or may not be prone to getting contracture bands after surgery. There is really no way to know that before surgery. On the positive side, these bands are rare, and when they do form they get better with time. It is a rare person that will need to do something to fix these contracture bands. Massaging after surgery will help these bands soften up. 

Best of luck

Saeed Marefat, MD

Saeed Marefat, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mondor's cords in breast augmentation

+1
I would not worry too much about developing Mondor's cords after breast augmentation.  I have seen this sporadically in a number of patients over the years and it always has gone away with massage and time.  It is not very common, and there are really no ways to predict when and if it will happen.  The good news is that it has never been a lasting problem in my practice and has always gone away.  I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, MD

Mondor's Cords

+1

Mondor's cords, or thrombophlebitis of chest veins, is very rare and should not be a concern before a breast augmentation. There is nothing one can do to prevent it. Instead, you should be concerned with the credentials of the surgeon who will do the procedure and where it will be done. The surgeon should be Certified  by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the facility where the procedure will be done should be certified.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Mondor's cords

+1
Mondor's cords can develop after a breast augmentation as a superficial thrombophlebitis.  There is no way to prevent it from occurring as far as I know.

Mondor's cord

+1
Dear Trinni,
   Mondor's cord is very rare. Out of thousands of my patients only a handful developed that condition. It appears usually as a hard and tender cord or two under the sub mammary crease and extending down to the lower chest and upper abdomen. It is considered to be an inflamed vein. The cause is unkown. It can happen even to breasts with no augmentation surgery. It is considered usually benign and self limiting condition. When it appears, I reassures my patients and recommend anti inflamatory meds like Advil and streching massage. This condition, should not worry you as far as getting breast augmentation surgery. Make sure to consult with board certified plastic surgeons and check the before and after picture to ascertain that you like the results.
                                Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon