I Was Wondering if Getting a Tummy Tuck Without Lipo is Still Going to Give Me the Results I Want Which is a Flat Tummy?

I'm scheduled to get a tummy tuck on Jan 13th and I was wondering if getting a tummy tuck without lipo is still going to give me the results I want which is a flat tummy?? I work out a lot, but and I really don't want to pay the extra money for lipo and just want the fatty pouch gone!!

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+2

This is an important technical judgment best made by your surgeon, based on physical examination.

If you have made your goals and expectations clear to your surgeon, he/she should be able to allay your concerns by addressing the choice to use liposuction (or not), explaining why the choice is most appropriate for you and/or what trade-offs may be involved.

Your best answer can't be found on-line, because it is so specific to you and based on physical examination, as well as an individual surgeon's judgment.

Get back to your surgeon and get your question answered to your satisfaction, and consider a second opinion.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal contouring options

+1

Tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. Both men and women are finding that tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.

Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy. Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. If, like many other patients, you are interested in an overall body rejuvenation, tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction.  If you have excess in your waist/hips (ie love handles), you will likely benefit from adjunctive lipo during your tummy tuck

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and lipo

+1

Without photos it is difficult to say.  Many surgeons myself includied perform liposuction as a secondary procedure to avoid an increased risk of wound complications.

Think of lipo as a tool

+1

I seldom perform an abdominoplasty without some lipo. I think of liposuction in abdominoplasty as a tool. It allows me to get some undermining of the skin flap w/o severing all of the blood supply and helps contour the flanks adequately. I can improve the closure as well. I do not charge separately for the liposuction because I simply feel that I cannot do my best abdominoplasty w/o it. That said I often get less than a liter or so of aspirate. If more is needed either weight loss or Lipo alone would be recommended before the abdominoplasty.

Different surgeons may have different opinions but this is what has worked best for me for some time.

Remember, Abdominoplasty refers to a range of procedures. Consult a boarded Plastic Surgeon to review your options. Always do the least extensive procedure that will fit your particular requirements.

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck may achieve flat tummy but lipos will achieve thinner hips

+1

The lipo which is typically performed with a tummy tuck is used to reduce fattyt deposits in the hip region. IF this is not a concern, than by all means proceed with a tummy tuck without lipo.

If Getting a Tummy Tuck Without Lipo is Still Going to Give Me the Results I Want Which is a Flat Tummy?

+1

Read and re read all the expert answers to get the idea that liposuction to attain a "flat" tummy with a tuck are NOT related. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Liposuction with abdonimolasty is safe

+1
Liposuction is a very safe and useful adjunct with abdominoplasy. If there is extra subcutaneous fat, the most effective way to remove it and give you the best possible cosmetic result is to add the liposuction. Don't cut corners, it will compromise your result and you will wind up paying more for revision surgeries later.

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Tummy Tuck with/without Lipo

+1

It is not possible to give an opinion about whether or not you would benefit from liposuction at the time of your TT without a photo.  If your fat is mostly in the lower abdomen, you may well be haapy with a TT alone.  But, if you have fat in the upper abdomen and/or flanks, you may want to consider some concurrent lipo.  You should discuss this with your surgeon.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck without Liposuction to the Abdomen

+1

Not only is it not necessary (as the fat that is affecting your abdomen will mostly be removed during the tummytuck), it is a bit risky to do liposuction to the abdomen during a tummytuck as it can affect the blood supply to the abdominal tissue that is being moved.  Liposuction, when done during an abdominoplasty, is generally done to the flanks to give more of an hourglass figure.

Gary D. Breslow, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck +/- liposuction

+1

There is no need to lipo the front of the abdomen in a tummy tuck.  The fat attached to the lower abdominal skin which is removed is removed with the skin.  The only place I do lipo with a TT is in the lateral flank area and on only about 10-20% of my patients.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS