Wondering if my Nose Will "Soften" out at the Tip. Also Worried About Asymmetry? (photo)

I've had only tip rhinoplasty 17 days ago. I was wondering if my results will soften out. My side profile seems to be completely fine - but I am very worried about the "block-like" appearance of my tip. I've uploaded some pictures and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this will soften out? To me (and a few of my family members) it seems very "worked on" from the front view. I'm wondering if this is just the swelling? I hope these pictures are helpful!

Early Post Op Nasal Swelling

+2

Congratulations.  It looks like your plastic surgeon performed an excellent surgery.  Your bridge is straight, wedges were done correctly, and all incision lines will disappear within the next month. 

With reference to the tip of your nose, this is the area which holds on to swelling the longest, giving the nose a mildly operated-on look temporarily.  To get the great final appearance to your nose, your surgeon had to disassemble and reassemble this area (lots of trauma), and therefore, lots of swelling.  Secondly, the tip of the nose and the nose in general has few lymphatics for draining away swelling, therefore the swelling lasts longer.  Taping the nose, especially the tip, for the next 3 weeks will decrease the swelling tremendously.  I give all my patients 1/2" paper tape and teach them the 3-strip technique for taping the tip of the nose.  This speeds the decrease in swelling.  Please ask your plastic surgeon if this technique of taping might be appropriate for you. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Wondering if my Nose Will "Soften" out at the Tip. Also Worried About Asymmetry?

+2

Thanks for the series of posted photos. VERY early to advise on the swelling in your tip. As you may or may not understand tip swelling is the last to resolve in rhinoplasty. So if after 9 months you still think there is swelling than you can be sure it is not. And a tip revision would be considered. But this early, 17 days, very hard to advise. Be more patient. 

+2

At 17 days after your Rhinoplasty, it's way too soon to be worried about the results.  This typically changes over the next several months.  

Tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

If this is only 17 days it is likely it will change and shrink a lot. Really though at this stage this is a question you should ask your surgeon and trust their advice, not internet opinions.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose softening after rhinoplasty

+2

You're very early in the healing process so I would imagine that the tip wiill change with time as the swelling resolves. Once the nose has stabilized you'll have a better idea of your results.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Asymmetry After The Rhinoplasty

+1

Based on the photos your swelling is the main cause of the irregularities.

However, at 17 days post-op you cannot assess the success of your results yet. 

Usually, it takes about 12 months so the end results of a rhinoplasty be established.

I encourage you to be a little more patient and to keep your surgeon in the loop of your recovery process while you follow his/her instructions religiously.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS