Will Invisalign Fix a Misaligned Open-bite?

I've been contemplating getting Invisalign braces; however, I wonder if it will help my malocclusion. I suspect there a several things wrong with my teeth: (a) I have an open bite; (b) my left front tooth protrudes; (c) my midlines are off and (d) there is a space between my bottom front tooth and the adjacent tooth. Based on my pics, should I inquire about Invisalign or (historically) are traditional braces better? I've even given thought to veneers. Thanks so much!

Invisalign can fix an open bite.

+2

You may want to start with traditional braces first to widen your arch then transition to Invisalign to finish the case..I only say that because its easier to wear the aligners then to have a mouth full of metal or porc brackets. For your retainers at the end of treatment I would recommend one that has a tongue thrusting preventative appliance built into it. It has a little wire coming out of it that touches the tongue and reminds you not to tongue thrust..This make break the habit over time and allow the teeth to remain in there correct position...

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign correcting open bites

+2

From the pictures you've provided it looks like your openbite may be difficult to correct with Invisalign.  I suggest getting opinions from doctors who are highly experienced with both braces and Invisalign in order to get a sense of the best approach to correcting your bite.  Asking whether Invisalign can correct your bite is like asking if a hammer can build a house.  A hammer is a useful tool in building but may not be the best tool for every aspect of building.  A blueprint is also needed, and so is a contractor who knows how to use a variety of tools to produce the best final result.

Seattle Orthodontist

Invisalign to close the bite

+1

Your lower teeth are slightly crowded and also vertically depressed. The upper teeth are also slightly forward.

Invisalign can be used to pull in the lower teeth, pull them upwards

Upper teeth will naturally look longer when they are pulled inwards

Sometimes complete closure cannot be achieved if the your lower jaw is low and long.

London Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign treatment for an open-bite

+1

Under many circumstances, invisalign is an ideal treatment approach for correction of open-bite. However, since there are many reasons for the existance of an open bite, careful evaluation of causative factors is an important part of the planning process. From you photographs it appears you may have forward tongue posture and lack of strong closure of your lips. For open-bite closure to be successful, these factors should be taken in to account. It also appears that you have three, rather than four, lower front teeth. Your treatment plan will have to include options for balancing the four upper front teeth with only three lowers. So the question is not so much can Invisalign be used, but rather how will all the above factors be accounted for in deciding how to go about your correction. I suggest you rely on your orthodonitst's expert opinion as to the alternatives that will best suit your needs.

Mercer Island Orthodontist

Invisalign fix the malposition

+1

Invisalign may straighten the teeth . I think  the open bite might be closed but you might need a combination of traditional braces and invisalign to achieve the goal.

Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and Open Bite

+1

Thanks for sending the pictures. It appears you have a tongue habit creating the open bite. You would be wise to locate the most experienced orthodontist or general dentist available for a complex case like yours. The good news - you can be helped.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign and open bites

+1

It is important to learn the origin (and thus cause) of your open bite. Is it primarily skeletal or is it dental or a combination of both? I would recommend seeing an orthodontist who is experienced in invisalign and braces. After full diagnostic records have been taken. the orthodontist will determine the different treatment options and what results can be expected from them. In some cases, Invisalign can be better at correcting open bites than traditional braces.  

New York Orthodontist

Can Invisalign Correct an Open Bite?

+1

A lot depends on what is causing your open bite, which can only be determined with a thorough examination. If your open bite is the result of a tongue thrust that habit will have to be resolved before moving the teeth or no treatment will be successful long-term. 

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for open bite?

+1

Open bites are very hard to close either with regular braces or Invisalign...Unfortunately, just the pics you sent are not enough info to tell me what would work for you.  Make sure you ask an orthodontist who has a lot of experience with Invisalign as this type of correction can be done in many cases but is more difficult than the average Invisalign case

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Invisalign will not fix your problem... but you can find a doctor that may be able to use Invisalign to help you

+1

It's a subtle difference in the wording, but it is very important.  A common question is whether Invisalign can correct something.  The problem is that Invisalign is simply a technique.  Results will be very different depending on who you choose treatment with.

That being said, unless I am missing something, it looks like your midlines are actually on, since you are missing a lower incisor.  In these cases, the upper midline should be in the middle of the middle lower incisor.

My personal preference is to actually use Invisalign in treatment with an anterior open bite.  Traditional braces tend to open bites, and when used to correct open bites, often extrude the anterior teeth.  This presents a big problem with relapse since there is no retainer that will hold your teeth in their extruded positions.

Toronto Orthodontist