Wondering if a Chin Implant is the way to go? (photo)

I'm 56 with good skin tone, but a full face and the beginnings of jowls. I have a slightly weak chin and wonder if some augmentation would improve my looks and maybe even make the jowls less noticeable by pulling some of the fullness down. I do NOT want a dramatic change & don't want a face lift at this point. I want to keep it simple. Should I start with injectables? The idea of re-doing that every year or so isn't great. What would look most natural and should I do this at all? Thanks for your help.

Wondering if a Chin Implant is the way to go?

+1
You would benefit from a chin implant, however, it will only give you projection from the side.  Your jowls will not be affected.  I realize you are not wanting a facelift, but there are very simple versions of a facelift with a quick recovery.  These 'minilifts' will address the heaviness in the face, remove jowling and rejuvenate your look.

+1
A chin implant would improve your profile, but the jowls will not be improved.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facial procedures and chin implants each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Chin implant the way to go

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

I believe that you would likely benefit from a chin implant based on your picture. The implant can be used to fill the sulcus (depression) just in front of the jowel. However, the jowel itself will not be corrected by the implant. I think, form your picture that having the face/neck lift would really be the way to go. If you are strongly opposed, you should see someone in consultation to discuss other options. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

Injectables for chin enlargement instead of a chin implant

+1
I would definitely start with fillers in that area or any other place like the cheeks. You can have as much or as little of an enlargement that you desire and it can be reversible and sometimes last well over a year, esp the newer ones. Minimal downtime, less costly with results!

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Depending on your examination, you may consider chin implant surgery along with neck and jowl liposuction.

+1

You appear to have a retrusive chin, jowling, and excessive neck skin. Chin implant and neck liposuction may be a minimally invasive combination of procedures for your consideration.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jowl Lift with Chin Implant

+1

While a chin implant would be helpful to your facial profile, it will not pull down or get rid of your jowls. What you really need is a limited form of a facelift (jowl lift) in combination with a chin implant to achieve your desired jowls. Unlike your perception of a full or extended lower facelift, it is really is not a complex procedure to go through with a very short recovery.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+1

Chin implant would be of minimal help. You need face lifting operation also, sorry. Best to see a few boarded PSs to discuss these issues IN PERSON.///

Chin augmentation for recessive chin

+1
Placing a chin implant will simply improve the projection and with of the chin area. It will not improve the jowls or tightened up any skin. 

Chin Implant for Jawline and Joweling

+1
Hi Susan,

A chin implant (extended type) can be very helpful for helping to rejuvenate the neck/jawline, as well as decrease joweling. Implants can help to provide additional support to the facial tissues and an extended type helps to fill in the pre-jowel sulcus, smoothing out the jowel significantly. It may not completely eliminate it but will help to improve it in all cases.

From the appearance of the photos you submitted, liposuction to the jowels and neck would also add additional benefit to your result.

While these procedures will not provide the same result as a facelift, they could make dramatic improvements in the right patient. A full consultation would help to determine if these are appropriate recommendations for you, but I think you are on the right track.

Best of luck

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

+1

The reality is you need a facelift. You can spend your money on injectables, all sorts of non-invasive machines  and lasers and fillers and you may and most probably will be disappointed