Just wondering what could be causing the pain in my sternum? I am 1 week post op breast aug, under the muscle.

Sternal pain

+2

The pectoralis muscle is often detached from the lower sternum. This may be the cause of the pain. Usually resolve after several days. Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Pain following BA

+2

it is all quite normal to get pains in your sternum with a sub muscular placement of the implant. Often ones pain improve after a week and one tend to move a little more and sometimes this can cause spasm and hence pain . This will improve over time.

Jake Lim, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Pain following Breast Augmentation

+2

It is common to have pain in the sternal area after breast augment, especially after a sub muscular augment. The medial pectoral fibers attach there and are on stretch. Sometimes you can get other "spasms" and "zingers" due the stretch of muscle and nerves. It all goes away with time. No worries. Good Luck!

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Sternal pain post op

+1

This is very normal especially after placing the implants sub muscularly. I would expect for this pain to get better in the next week or so.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Chest wall pain after breast augmentation

+1

Most surgeons will disrupt some of the attachments of the pectoralis major muscle to the lower portion of the sternum when placing implants under the muscle. This can remain sore for a variable amount of time after surgery, but almost always resolves within the first month. After one week, it is fine to treat this discomfort with over the counter anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Discomfort After Sub Muscular Breast Augmentation Is Normal

+1

Thank you for your question. Sub-muscular breast augmentation involves dissection of the pocket beneath the chest muscle the pectoralis major. Frequently the pocket is enlarged to make room for the implant by detaching some of the insertions of the pectoralis muscle on the sternum. This typically causes discomfort in the sternum which can last up to 10-14 days.

Be certain to discuss your concerns with your surgeon so that he or she may address them.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Sternal pain one week post op

+1

Dear Kadey,

The pectoralis muscle is connected to the sternum in the midline. Under the muscle implants cause the muscle to stretch and given this connection to the sternum it is very common to have discomfort there for a couple weeks. Always discuss your symptoms with your surgeon.

Luis H. Macias, MD

What could be causing the pain in my sternum? I am 1 week post op breast aug

+1

The pectoral muscles, under which the implants lie, insert into the sternum and are on quite a bit of stretch with the new implants. Pain in the area is not uncommon. Discuss with your surgeon. All the best.